Quad 200 DFX Head review by Kustom

Kustom: Quad 200 DFX Head

Purchased from: American Musical Supply Inc.

First off, this has one of my best, if not the best clean channel I've ever played through. No Lie. I use this with a Hartke GH412a cabinet, Small Clone chorus, an American Big Muff Pi, and a Squire Jagmaster. I can get some amazing sounds out of it on the clean channel. The effects are also great, especially the chorus and delay. I can go from a Kurt Cobainish clean sound to a '50s rock and roll sound with just the turn of my tone knob. The distortion is lacking in some areas. With some tweaking around, you can get a fairly decent distortion sound. However, it is nothing amazing. It's nothing a decent pedal cannot fix though. As far as noise goes, I've never had any major problems. When I first bought it, it was noisy as hell. However, this was because of the cable I used with it. Also, it doesn't really distort at high volumes from my experience.

I play a variety of music styles (grunge, real punk rock, alternative, shoegazing, folk, jazz, blues, garage, experimental, noise pop, bluegrass, '50s rock and roll type of stuff, psychedelic rock, classic rock, progressive, a bit of metal (not hair metal, but more of some iron maiden type of stuff), funk, and more) This amp suits most of them well. The only problems I had with it were my amp fault. If it were stolen, I'd flip. I'd attempt to purchase a new one. However, I don't think I could scrounge up the $300 to do it. It's an amazing amp for what I do. The clean is amazing, and the distortion can be to if you get a decent pedal.

I've never had any problems with it at all. I don't think I ever will. I'd definitely gig without a backup as it seems to show no sign of breaking in any way. I really like how the knobs are metal, so they really don't have a chance of being damaged. In no way like my previous amp (a Peavey Rage 158), which seemed to always have a problem.

It was made in 2006. It has 2 channels (rhythm and lead). It is solid state. Also, it is 200 watts. Has an input and AUX in jack on the front of the amplifier as well as a 3 band EQ for each channel. The lead channels gain however is controlled by balls. There is a button by the balls knob to make it more intense. Also on each channel, there are buttons to change the type of sound in your channel (fat/lean for clean, punch/grind for distortion). It has 8 digital effects (hall reverb, spring reverb, slap back, delay, chorus, chorus/reverb, flange/reverb, and tremolo).

ThreeB's
    This is an incredible Head I must agree with everything you've said. It seems like a well kept secret.
    Spitfire94
    I got this amp one week ago And it's Kick Ass !!! Add a dist peda and it's FUCKING KICK ASS!!!
    Salamandyk
    Im guessing this amp wouldnt be that great for progessive or just plain metal?
    kustomuser88
    ok so im new to the forum i own the quad 200 dfx and 2 quad st cabs its the best amp i own