Quad 200 DFX Head Review

manufacturer: Kustom date: 07/12/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Kustom: Quad 200 DFX Head
The QUAD 200 DFX Head is voiced specially for massive, modern low-end response in the Lead channel. It offers the same twochannel design with four preamp modes, just like the QUAD 100 DFX Head.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.5
 9.2
 9.8
 3,539
reviews (2) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Quad 200 DFX Head Reviewed by: c0d3ster, on february 06, 2007

Purchased from: American Musical Supply Inc.

Features: It was made in 2006. It has 2 channels (rhythm and lead). It is solid state. Also, it is 200 watts. Has an input and AUX in jack on the front of the amplifier as well as a 3 band EQ for each channel. The lead channels gain however is controlled by balls. There is a button by the balls knob to make it more intense. Also on each channel, there are buttons to change the type of sound in your channel (fat/lean for clean, punch/grind for distortion). It has 8 digital effects (hall reverb, spring reverb, slap back, delay, chorus, chorus/reverb, flange/reverb, and tremolo). // 9

Sound: First off, this has one of my best, if not the best clean channel I've ever played through. No Lie. I use this with a Hartke GH412a cabinet, Small Clone chorus, an American Big Muff Pi, and a Squire Jagmaster. I can get some amazing sounds out of it on the clean channel. The effects are also great, especially the chorus and delay. I can go from a Kurt Cobainish clean sound to a '50s rock and roll sound with just the turn of my tone knob. The distortion is lacking in some areas. With some tweaking around, you can get a fairly decent distortion sound. However, it is nothing amazing. It's nothing a decent pedal cannot fix though. As far as noise goes, I've never had any major problems. When I first bought it, it was noisy as hell. However, this was because of the cable I used with it. Also, it doesn't really distort at high volumes from my experience. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never had any problems with it at all. I don't think I ever will. I'd definitely gig without a backup as it seems to show no sign of breaking in any way. I really like how the knobs are metal, so they really don't have a chance of being damaged. In no way like my previous amp (a Peavey Rage 158), which seemed to always have a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music styles (grunge, real punk rock, alternative, shoegazing, folk, jazz, blues, garage, experimental, noise pop, bluegrass, '50s rock and roll type of stuff, psychedelic rock, classic rock, progressive, a bit of metal (not hair metal, but more of some iron maiden type of stuff), funk, and more) This amp suits most of them well. The only problems I had with it were my amp fault. If it were stolen, I'd flip. I'd attempt to purchase a new one. However, I don't think I could scrounge up the $300 to do it. It's an amazing amp for what I do. The clean is amazing, and the distortion can be to if you get a decent pedal. // 9

Quad 200 DFX Head Reviewed by: Trebaruna, on july 12, 2011

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Used

Features: I heard this amp for the first time on YouTube and I was amazed by its sound and versatility. It has 2 channels, which are footswitchable, clean and dirty, plus on the dirty channel it has two distortion modes, Balls and Bigger Balls, a cleaner distortion with more low-end and an heavier distortion with more high-end. On the effects it has lots of them, which I was not a big fan, except the Chorus, which is amazing, almost sounds analogical. To have a great sound of this amp I recommend you get an extremely good cabinet, because low-cost cabinets can get a little muddy. The controls on the amp are extremely sensitive, a small touch (I mean, SMALL) can change the all tone, and that is such a nice thing. // 9

Sound: I play Grunge, Rock and Post-Grunge and it's an amazing amp for that kind of music. It can also be amazing for metal. The amp is not noisy at all, it's very silent. The amp is extremely loud, the guys on my band were always telling me to lower the volume, however it was already low, on 2. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I never had problems with the amp. The only problem is the amp is extremely heavy. It's reliable. Mine has suffered a lot, back and forth from gigs, and when it finally gets to the rehearsal room, I plug it in, and it's as good as new. An advice, do not use bass effects on this amp or you'll ruin it. It already has an amazing low-end, so bass effects will ruin the frequencies. // 9

Overall Impression: An amazing amp for everyone, from pros to beginners. I highly recommend it. If you're starting now and don't have money for an Orange or a Mesa Boogie, buy this amp. You'll never want to get rid of it. For a valve state amp it sure sounds like an all-tube amp. Very very very good product. // 9

Comments