Quad 65 DFX review by Kustom

Kustom: Quad 65 DFX

Purchased from: Hickory Wind Music

The sound of the amp is great for the price and is pretty versatile! I use a Greg Bennett Avion through this amp and it sounds good. When I use the clean channel I like to use my bridge pickup the best. It has a nice jangly kind of sound for chords. I play on the lead channel most of the time though. It is capable of many things from classic rock to metalish rock. I've found different uses for the preamps on the distortion channel. The UK preamp is better for the deeper, metal sound, because of it's cutting tone. The USA preamp sounds nice for hard rock lead. I play mostly punkish type rock and christian rock. On occasion I dwelve into some metal, and for all this the distortion is great! You can even get some Lynard Skynard and softer distortion for full chords. Also when you turn the volume down on your guitar and Switch pickups you can get lots more versatility out of this amp. My only complaint are the effects. The tremolo is kind of odd sounding and I could have just been satisfied with reverb, delay, and good tremolo.

This is a good amp for my style. I play mostly punkish rock and harder rock as stated above and the amp can handle it well. I've been playing for over a year, but I've progressed well and needed this amp. It was the best deal for me considering all the other similarly priced amps and I recommend it to any beginner or intermediate player. Just not pro stuff though.

It's plenty dependable for me. I don't play in very large gigs. So this is why I got it. If you have to play in smaller gigs or medium with P.A. or a connected cab, this amp is great. It's just a tad hissy on hi-gain, but not to noticeable when you play. Plenty loud enough and durable for me.

Well this amp came with a lot of features and I think it was made in 2003 at the very earliest. The original price was will range from about $280-$350, but I got a discount. To list all the features, it came with two channels called rhythm (clean) and lead. Each channel has two preamps. The rhythm channel has neutral (normal clean) and brilliant (sparkly, trebly clean). The lead channel has USA (warmer, deeper distortion) and UK (brighter, cutting distortion). Both channels have three-band eq. The amp also has eight digital effects. They sound alright, but I rarely use them. It has 65 watts of power and a single 12 inch celestion. The amp itself is solid state, but it's quite a solid state.

Nerdo-sez-bo
    Our school has these, I'm mighty impressed. Our cheap, tacky school has done something good for the music department!!!
    fenderstratboy2
    this amp is great! i used to work at a guitar store that sells these and they sold like hotcakes! kustom amps sound good, are durable, and you get your money's worth. the effects arent that great though, but it makes up for what it lacks with tone and volume