Mr. Hector Review

manufacturer: Laboga date: 06/23/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laboga: Mr. Hector
While designing Mr. Hector amplifier Laboga was thinking about guitar players who usually lack gain.
 7.1
 9.1
 4,151
review (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Mr. Hector Reviewed by: wildchildx, on june 23, 2008

Price paid: € 1349

Features: My amp was made in 2008 I think. I play everything from thrash to swedish death to metalcore music. The amp has 2 channels that can be accessed through the footswitch. It has line effects loop and no headphone jack. I wish it had presence control. The variety of sounds achieved is limited because of that. I never use the bright switches because they don't make any real difference. I use this amp with my band in our basement. The power is more than enough. It has 10 tubes in it, a shared EQ for both channels, a mid switch and a solid state/tube rectifier. // 5

Sound: I use with this a Washburn WI64DL with stock pickups and a Jackson WRMG with EMG 81/85 pickups. It doesn't suit my music style very well. The sound produced is not as brutal as I need. It is not noisy with the master volume low but when I dime the master it becomes very noisy. The amp is voiced towards the upper-mids. It lacks the low-mids and low-end I need for the music I play. Should there be a presence control, things would be much better. The variety is not outstanding. I can get different sounds by tweaking the mid-switch and the rectifier switch but the general voicing remains the same. The clean channel stays clean for a long time. It doesn't break up easily, maybe because of the 6L6 tubes. The distortion is not very brutal. It is as brutal as a Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb High Gain can be. It does not suit my style of music. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on it. I have never disassembled the amp to see its guts but it seems well built. I would gig without a backup. My amp has never broken down and until now I have never had a preblem with it. I bought it brand new and have it for about two months now. // 7

Overall Impression: This amp is not suitable for death/thrash/metalcore although that is what lured me in the laboga web site. I have been playing for about 9 years and I currently own a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and a Vox AC30. It might seem strange but I find the Mesa Boogie more suitable for those styles. If it was stolen/lost I would try to find a better amp for my style, maybe a Hughes & Kettner Warp X, a Diamond Spec-Op or a Peavey 5150. The things I love about it are its looks and its clean channel. The things I hate about it are the voicing of the distortion channel and the lack of a presence control. My favorite feature is the switchable master volumes. I didn't compare the amp to any other because I couldn't actually test it before buying it. I chose this because I wanted something fresh but in the end it isn't what I dreamt of. // 4

Comments