AOR ProTube 50w Combo review by Laney

Laney: AOR ProTube 50w Combo

Big, Bold, Warm Marshall type tones! I use a Gibson SG Standard. It sounds pretty good just plugged straight in cranked with the AOR engaged. But for the most part I leave the AOR section off and boost it from a low gain clean sound with my Marshall Shredmaster and Ibanez TS9 into a warm ballbreaking distortion that would be praised by the likes of Tommy Iommi! I usually run the presence between 5 and 6, the bass at 6, mids at 3 or 4, treble at 9, with the pre 1, 2, and level 1 around 6, and the master changes depending on my situation but it sounds best around 7 or 8 if I can crank it. I keep the Mid and Treble boost engaged. The Bass boost is just WAY too overpowering to use. It's powerful enough that I can even use this amp for bass. Takes Pedals great, and is very sensitive to your guitars volume knob, making it very versatile even at different settings.Doesn't have s00per br00tal distortion. More Marshall sounding distortion, think Black Sabbath meets Led Zeppelin meets Early Metallica. Clean channel ain't no slouch either. I run it through a Mesa 4x10, and it's a perfect match, beautiful tones coming out of this thing. I used to have a 5150 before and this tone blows it out of the water.

I play mostly Metal, Hardcore, Emo, Screamo, Alternative, Industrial, Rock, Classic Rock, etc.I've been playing for about 4 years. If it were lost/stolen I would be out hunting down another one. You will not find a better JCM 800 clone for the price. I've seen them as low as $300. I really can't complain about much with this amp. I wish the presence was a little better, and that it had onboard reverb, but other than that I really have no complaints. When buying this I was also looking at a JCM 900 SL-X and a '72 Bassman. The Bassman was cool but a little weird and didn't handle my style as well as I wanted. The SL-X was great but lacked versitility. The Laney exceeded in both aspects and was half the price of both of them. Let me save some money to buy a nice cab to go with it.I absolutely love this amp and don't plan on replacing it for a very long time.

Have had no problems with it in the 2 months i've had it. I got it with some really old looking Groove Tubes(mesa's I believe), and 4 Sovtek 12ax7LPS'. The preamp tubes are just what I wanted, but I just ordered some Svetlana EL34's to replace the GT's. Just need to get it biased and such.

First off I have the 50 Watt Head, not the combo. Single Channel, High and Low Gain Inputs.Presence knob, 3 band eqall with push/pull boosts, 2 gain(one with push/pull boost), 1 level knob, and one master volume knob. Two EL34's and 4 12ax7's. 50 watts of pure tube tone. Didn't come with footswitch. Has pretty much everything I want as far as features go, some onboard reverb would be cool but can certainly do without it. Looks like a Plexi, and sounds like a beefed up JCM 800(which is exactly what I wanted.). I can't really ask for much more from it as far as features go.