CUB10 review by Laney

Laney: CUB10

Purchased from: Melbourne

While I do not know exactly when this amplifier was made, I do know it was made in China. It is a 10-watt tube amp, but it is surprisingly loud. It comes with two input jacks, low and high gain, and also with tone, volume and gain controls. Unfortunately, this does not leave a lot of room to mess around with, and because it only has one channel, which is a clean channel, to change your tone pedals will be required. It is for this reason I give it a 7, as unless you are dead set on playing your cleans, you will not get much out of this amp. At least one more channel, or bass and treble controls, would give this amp a higher score but since it lacks these as well a 7 will have to suffice.

I use an all stock Fender Mexican Standard Stratocaster, and I play all sorts of music, predominantly blues, rock, and metal, and without pedals, I am not able to get the sound I want. Fortunately, this amp is good with most pedals, and I am able to get the tone I want using pedals. I often go for a crunchy, overdriven, electric tone, and while this amp is able to get that tone, it does not have the most clarity. Where this amp truly shines is in cleans, and in all honesty, if all you want to play are cleans, then this is your amp. The cleans are very clear and often sound great, depending on your settings. I scored the sound an 7, as although it can relay the sound I want, it is not often the clearest and I do find myself relying on pedals far too often to get the tone I want.

I have had this amp since September 2015, so just over a year now, and while it hasn't seen a lot of action I can attest it is a very sturdy amp. I have not had any issues with it after bumping or dropping it and I think it will be able to withstand a lot of damage before actually being ruined beyond use. There would be no drama if this amp was gigged a lot as it can take as much damage as you dish it. It is a very tough amp with a hard exterior, so I can't really knock it for durability. The speaker and tubes are protected by an iron grill as well, so there is no need to worry about how they are holding up.

Unfortunately, at this stage, I do not have another amp to compare this too, but I am dead set on my next amp which I know will fill out most of my criteria, unlike this amp. Overall, this amp is suitable for someone that likes their cleans, but I am just not that kinda guy. If this amp was stolen or lost, I would buy it again and I will most likely be selling it soon. This is a good budget amp, it's just not my good budget amp. If I am being 100% honest, I would not recommend this amp to most people, unless you really truly like your cleans.