CUB10 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 10/04/2016 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Laney: CUB10
It is a 10 Watt tube amp combo with a 10" clestion speaker. The amps is pretty basic, it has two inputs (low and high gain).
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
reviews (4) pictures (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
CUB10 Reviewed by: Doogy-Style, on october 06, 2010

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: From what I know, this amp was made in China, I don't really know the year, but most likely 2010 since it's a fairly new amp. It is a 10 Watt tube amp combo with a 10" clestion speaker. The amps is pretty basic, it has two inputs (low and high gain), no headphone jack, just basic controls which are: Volume, Gain, Tone (melow or bright, no real EQ). Actually a Headphone jack would have been cool because I in my house, but besides that I don't really miss anything else. // 8

Sound: I use a PRS SE semi-hollow, with humbuckers on it. And I play pretty much any kind of music. Let's say mainly Pop-Rock, Classic-Rock, Garage rock, Hard-Rock, Grunge, Post-grunge... But sometimes I'm also after some bluesy tones etc. For my standards, I'd say the amp is relatively noiseless, it would definitely please the guys that are after some clean/melodic sounds. The sound is really good, at least compared to what I had before. This amp really loves pedals and with Muff pi, or my Chorus pedal, I can get many different sounds. However, this is not a high gain amp, you will even have a hard time to get in AC/DC territory, at least with my gear. So if you want some distortions, you'll need a pedal, once you have one you can get heavier sounds. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I only had this amp for about 4 monthes so I can't really tell. I never had any problem with it whatsoever, but it's normal isn't it? I'll give it a 10 since it was prefectly reliable until now, but this amp isn't old enough, this grade doesn't really mean anything. // 10

Overall Impression: With my different pedals, I can get a good sound for bands such as: Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Eagles of Death Metal (which is not metal), The black keys etc... And With the cleans I can play really anything, and it stays clean for really long. For the price I paid, it's probably the best amp I could get! If it was stolen, well for the money I'd buy it again, if I had more money I'd upgrade to a bigger/higher gain combo most likely. If you're after a small tube amp, unless you need extra tube distortion, I think it's your best choice for the price! // 9

CUB10 Reviewed by: aryasridhar, on july 04, 2011

Purchased from: Bangalore, India

Features: I have no idea when this amp was made, I bought it in aug 2010, This amp comes with 2x6V6GT's and 2x12AX7's, Single channel amp, no effects loop or headphone jacks on it. Has an output jack to connect external speaker cab 8 or 16 Ohms. Just the basic controls, Volume, Tone and Gain knobs and 2 inputs (Low and High). When I checked it out the first time I was simply in love, it is not the greatest of amps, but for the price it sounds and looks awesome. I must say that this little amp is LOUD. I mostly use it in my bedroom and its more than enough for bedroom use. I gave it an 8, because of no effects loop and no reverb, that would have made this a super sweet deal. // 8

Sound: I use a ESP EX260 and a Strat copy, my ESP has SD JBSH4 pickup in the bridge position and I get real fat distortion off it with great punch, I removed the stock pups on it. This amp sounds fantastic in single coil mode and has lot of thick distortion as well. Not too much of distortion though, I would rather say crunch. With a pedal in front of it, this baby can roar, it almost gets you into the hard rock territory, which is neat, I don't play metal much so I am not bothered about the metal tones. I modded the amp recently with Tungsol 12AX7's and Tungsol 6V6GT's, the changes are really prominent in tone, I can now say I sound like a real Marshall amp. Laney Kicks A-s. Most of the genres I play is neatly covered by this amp. I am a happy camper overall // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its been used by me a lot and it has withstood all of the mild abuse I give to it. Its a good one... // 9

Overall Impression: Fantastic! For the money. // 9

CUB10 Reviewed by: bunjaba88988, on october 04, 2016

Purchased from: Melbourne

Features: While I do not know exactly when this amplifier was made, I do know it was made in China. It is a 10-watt tube amp, but it is surprisingly loud. It comes with two input jacks, low and high gain, and also with tone, volume and gain controls. Unfortunately, this does not leave a lot of room to mess around with, and because it only has one channel, which is a clean channel, to change your tone pedals will be required. It is for this reason I give it a 7, as unless you are dead set on playing your cleans, you will not get much out of this amp. At least one more channel, or bass and treble controls, would give this amp a higher score but since it lacks these as well a 7 will have to suffice. // 7

Sound: I use an all stock Fender Mexican Standard Stratocaster, and I play all sorts of music, predominantly blues, rock, and metal, and without pedals, I am not able to get the sound I want. Fortunately, this amp is good with most pedals, and I am able to get the tone I want using pedals. I often go for a crunchy, overdriven, electric tone, and while this amp is able to get that tone, it does not have the most clarity. Where this amp truly shines is in cleans, and in all honesty, if all you want to play are cleans, then this is your amp. The cleans are very clear and often sound great, depending on your settings. I scored the sound an 7, as although it can relay the sound I want, it is not often the clearest and I do find myself relying on pedals far too often to get the tone I want. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have had this amp since September 2015, so just over a year now, and while it hasn't seen a lot of action I can attest it is a very sturdy amp. I have not had any issues with it after bumping or dropping it and I think it will be able to withstand a lot of damage before actually being ruined beyond use. There would be no drama if this amp was gigged a lot as it can take as much damage as you dish it. It is a very tough amp with a hard exterior, so I can't really knock it for durability. The speaker and tubes are protected by an iron grill as well, so there is no need to worry about how they are holding up. // 10

Overall Impression: Unfortunately, at this stage, I do not have another amp to compare this too, but I am dead set on my next amp which I know will fill out most of my criteria, unlike this amp. Overall, this amp is suitable for someone that likes their cleans, but I am just not that kinda guy. If this amp was stolen or lost, I would buy it again and I will most likely be selling it soon. This is a good budget amp, it's just not my good budget amp. If I am being 100% honest, I would not recommend this amp to most people, unless you really truly like your cleans. // 7

CUB10 Reviewed by: gwalt44, on june 15, 2011

Purchased from: ZZSounds.com

Features: I have no idea when it was built. Probably around 2010-11. Designed and engineered in the UK but made in China. The amp is versatile enough for what I try to play which is blues, prog and classic rock. Though this amp is so clean that you'll need some pedals to get some classic sounds. Amp has Hi and Lo channels. Output for an 8-16 Ohm speaker cab. It has volume, gain, and tone knobs. I use it at home and it is got a lot of power for 10 watts. Amazingly loud! It shake the windows and walls. Two ECC83's(preamp) and two 6V6GT's (power) tubes. // 9

Sound: I have ESP LTD MH103QM with all original stuff. This combo is very good together. No noise on any setting. It's mostly clean though when the gain is at 10 and the volume is around 3-4-5 it kinda distorts, and for a better word overdrives. There really is no distortion just good clean growling and screaming, lol. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it since January of 2011. So I don't know. Built like a tank though, solid. I was going to stop after solid but I had to write 166 more characters. So it is a tube amp. When you get ready to play it, turn it on and let warm up. If you bring it in from the cold, let warm to room temp before turning it on. Sorry about that. I hope that is enough characters. // 6

Overall Impression: I really like this amp. I bought after I heard it on Gilmourish.com. I aspire to play like David. I've been picking it up and putting it down for 30+ years. I have a carbon copy, digital delay, DMarkley Overlord, and a DigiTech RP150Multi-effects. If I lost this I'd probably buy a 15watt Laney Head and Cabinet. I love it's sound, nothing to hate and favorite feature is the red light, lol. I was going to buy used Fender Twin but I heard this amp. // 8

Comments