GC 120 review by Laney

Laney: GC 120

Purchased from: Ebay

I am currently using a Schecter C-1 Custom with Seymour Duncan Custom pickups, and I can play pretty much anything through it, from blues to country to metal as long as I have my effects pedal handy! There is very little background noise produced by this amp, and when it is switched on in normal mode, you can hear virtually none at all. Although the on board pre-amp could be more versatile and it is only capable of so much distortion, with a decent effects pedal like I said earlier, the speakers are capable of nearly anything. And it sounds very good!

I play most styles of music, and this amp is more than capable to performing whatever I am playing, I used several other amps before purchasing this, such as an Ashdown Fallen Angel, a Roland Cube 80XL and a Fender 212 Frontman, and although it is not anywhere near the price of these amps and does not have as many features as some, its sound is on a par or even better than all of them, and I would recommend it to anyone.

This amp is amazingly reliable. It has been going for 16 years without so much as a scratch on its body, or a crackle when you use it. I could throw this amp off a building, and still play it without hesitation afterwards! It is very reliable and very durable!

This amp was made in 1996, and bought off eBay in 2011, still in an absolutely fantastic condition, and sounding amazing! It is very versatile, and produces a fantastic clean sound with a brilliant reverb setting. With a decent effects pedal, (I use the Boss ME-25 which I think is fantastic), which you can plug into the dedicated effects loop on the amp, the amp is very versatile. The amp has 2 inputs: hi, which is for low output guitars like those without active pickups, the second is lo, for active guitars with a high output signal. The guitar has two channels, normal and overdrive. Normal is a very clean sound which can be altered with gain, bass, middle, treble and reverb. Overdrive is more distorted, and is very good for lead guitar, and can be altered with drive, level, bass, middle, treble and reverb. The amp also has a remote jack which I don't use as I don't have a remote, however if I did, then I could use it to remotely switch between overdrive and normal. On the rear panel of the amp there are a further 5 jacks. A headphone jack, a direct injection jack, a speaker jack, (which is used for the 2 12" on board speakers, but can be disconnected to plug in other speakers)as well and a send, and receive for the effects loop. The two 12" H H speakers in the amp are extremely good quality, and can be very loud (120W) I think. And the amp is solid state, however you would be forgiven for mistaking it for a tube amp as it is has a very good sound.

MaggaraMarine
    JBJBJosh wrote: @rv_phoenix, my friend has a Randall RT50C RT Series All Tube Guitar Combo Amp, and we compared them recently, and although his did have the edge, it cost 550 more than my laney, has way less effects and features, and we both admitted that it was a very close call
    If it has many features it doesn't mean that it's better. I don't like those "solid state is crap" comments though. But I would rather have an amp with no built in effects (only reverb), two channels, 3-band eq, gain, channel volume, master volume and a boost button for solos. More features is too much hassle. Keep it simple is the way to go!
    rv_phoenix
    Our fellow isn't aware of the existence of all-tube amps. A 9,3 overall for this Solid State crap? Even after Fender Frontman it is waaaay too much!
    JBJBJosh
    JBJBJosh
    rv_phoenix
    JBJBJosh wrote: also, the ashdown fallen angel, which i featured in my review, if you cared to read it... is an all tube amp... so think before you post
    You don't seem to understand an irony, my fellow. Of course you're aware of the existence of all-tubes. You're not aware, however, a cheap solid state cannot be rated a 9,3 overall and cannot be even close to a Randall, no matter how many crappy built-in effects it has. You're also not aware that 120W of solid state power mean about 30W of all-tube (even less for your Laney, I suspect), so it cannot be trully loud. That's all. Btw, of course not all SSs are crap. Some are good and, for some niche players - like George Benson or quite a few metal shredders - they are the right choice. But a common Laney is only a "bang-for-the-bucks" device, not an amp to consider. If you're a player. Even an amateur one.