GH50L review by Laney

Laney: GH50L

Purchased from: Music Focus

I am currently using a Gibson Tony Iommi SG (tuned to C#) and an Epiphone Custom SG (tuned to D), pickups are Gibson Iommi Humbuckers. Playing mostly Black Sabbath this amp is perfect, Iommi using Laneys himself. It is noisy when you turn the Drive right up, but I generally I have it set about 7 and then there is no terrible hissing noise. This amp is mainly made for playing metal and rock. You can get nice Zeppelin tones, Cream and even Pink Floyd. The distortion in this amp is so good, no need for a distortion pedal, although I still use my Vox treble booster when playing sabbath stuff. This amp also sounds good in a bigger area playing solos with a long delay time.

This amp is a perfect match for my style of music. I am currently in the process of writing my own music and this amp helps me alot and because I can get the exact sound that I want that inspires me to keep writing. I have been playing for about 6 years now and own a couple of other smaller combo amps. If something happened to this amp and it couldn't be used anymore I would definitly buy another one. I love the sound that I can get from this amp, I have been searcing around for about 3 years to get it. I was originally going to get a Laney GH100TI (Tony Iommi Signature) amp head, but was put off by some reviews saying that it was no good. I guess also that I don't want to mimic Tony Iommi, I mean he is a god but I would also like to write my own music.

I could depend on this amp, it seems very reliable. I would use it at a gig without a backup. Has never broken down yet and I don't expect it to.

This amp was made in 2004. This amp is 1 channel only, but you can still get clean tones by lowering the gain and raising the volume. It dose have FX loops as well. It would be nice to have some reverb though. I bought this amp head with a Laney GS412IS straight cabinet with 4 80watt mono speakers, not the cheaper clestion speakers either these are the proper English made HH Invader speakers which sound much better than the Celestions. Bought the whole lot for only $1025 Australian.