GH50L review by Laney

Laney: GH50L

Purchased from: eBay

I run an early '90s ESP with a single EMG 85 bridge pickup, and the combo works great for what I want. Not too noisy (EMGs are great for that), not sure how versatile it is, since I don't change my settings much after I find one I really like. it's a bit hard to describe the sound, but basically I put it at bass: 10, mids: 7, and treble: 6. The amp is a little trebly for my tastes, but rolling off of it a bit fixes that. The Clean channel is OK, but it does distort quite easily (but hey, if you want clean get a Fender). The distortion is quite nice, not quite as tight as what I was looking for, but still great for what I play.

If you play metal and like your mids, this is a great amp for you. Match it with some EMGs, or high output Dimarzios/Duncans this baby will scream. Considering that it was a pretty blind buy (didn't get much info off of eBay), the amp was a steal. If it got stolen, I'd probably try to do something about it, but seeing as I've had stuff stolen before and never seen it again, not much you can do. It would be nice if it had 2 channels, but it's not really a big deal. I actually have gotten used to simpler setups and find them easier to use in live situations. Not much to hate about this amp, it's pretty much got everything I'd need in an amp.

I have used it once in a gig, and it held up fine. The tubes are a little old (were old when I got it), so I'm going to change them out soon. They currently have (and come stock with) EL34 power tubes, but I got a pair of 6L6's (you can adjust the bias for those instead of the EL34), which supposedly will give it a more modern sound, but this is yet to be seen (or heard).

This amp is a single channel (with on/off overdrive), 50 watts, all tube (just enough for me, don't need anything more than that). I run it through a Carvin Sx series 2x12 cab with Celestion 70/80 speakers (the same speakers that come in the Laney matched cab for this amp). Not quite sure what year it was made. I play many different genres of metal, mostly thrash and death metal. Handles both very well, but if you're one of those Who like to play with scooped mids, look elsewhere.