GH50L review by Laney

Laney: GH50L

Price paid: A$ 1200

Purchased from: Southern Music

Sounds absolutely fantastic! Straight from the shop with stock tubes, master volume only on 1, it sounded great. Very bright, but if you just roll the treble back a little that solves that. Being a single channel amp, if you want to go from clean to super-brutal at the flick of a Switch, the VH100R might be more for you. You can go from clean to heavy Drive though, by rolling the "gain" to 2 and the Drive all the way up, and footswitching between the two. If you aren't using it like that, the distortion channel is MASSIVE. Thick, crushing tube gain. Sound wise it's one of the most versatile amps I've ever played, considering it's single channel. From Lynyrd Skynyrd through to Meshuggah, this amp can do it. Recommend a change from the stock tubes, though.

I love this amp to death. If it got knicked, I'd definitely buy another, or save up and get the VH100R (4 channel version). Only thing I'd change is the whole reverb thing. It'd be nice if it had one, but even without it, it's definitely worth buying! I gig, and I play in a ska band, a progressive death metal band and a jam-rock band. This amp covers it all flawlessly.

Never had a problem with it. It's heavy, and it's built like an absolute truck. I don't see anything going wrong with this amp period. Well constructed, and the tubes are housed very safely. I'd definitely gig it without a backup, and I have numerous times. It heats up quite a bit when you play with high gain for too long though, but I usually set it up with a little clip-on fan blowing on the tubes to cool it down a bit.

Resonance Switch, presence, bass, mids and treble controls, master volume, gain knob and a "Drive" stage. It doesn't have many features, but it doesn't have too few either. It's a single channel master volume amp... you don't really need much more from one than that. Reverb would be nice though.

stueey
    If you want to eliminate the hiss, use a noise gate. I urge everyone who uses high gain or gets a his from their amp to use one. clears it right up!
    dahelunover
    dahelunover
    Awesome sounding amp, I own one. The only problem I had with them was two stock tubes went bad after a couple of months, but thats not the amp being at a fault, tubes can die unexpectedly. I got them replaced for free cause I had the head in warranty. Nothing bad to say about this amp, well built, melodic gain, the first two reviews on top are spot on. I don't miss the reverb, spring reverbs don't last too long on amps anyways & I don't use a reverb either so its not lacking any features for me. Overall very happy with this one.
    von gelb
    Just got me one of these a week ago. This amp does it's job very well (hardrock/metal) and is extremely loud (played it through a 4x12 with Vintage 30's)!!! Other bandmembers kept shouting "Turn it down!" when master volume wasn't even past 3! I've experienced no hiss, but the previous owner loaded 6L6 tubes in it so that might make the difference.