GH50L review by Laney

Laney: GH50L

Price paid: € 700

Purchased from: Guitar Shop

I'm using a Cort G254 (H-S-S) and a Music Man Wolfgang with pretty high output humbuckers. Even with the Wolfgang it stays pretty clean with the gain on 4! (I always use the High Gain Input btw). A month ago I made an OD pedal myself and I must say it really complements this amp! I use it as a boost and leave it on all the time, when I want clean I just roll back the guitar volume. When I want to go Metal I hit the Drive switch! Some people say you can't go from clean to metal but you can with an OD pedal, and it doesn't need to be expensive! When I crank this baby up when using it for metal it obviously gets noisy but I think when you're on stage and there's like audience talking and clapping their hands (hopefully haha!) it's not a big deal. This amp is not as Low-Endy on lower volumes so using my isolation box fixes that! When you go past 3 or 4 it really starts to open up and you just want to go further! I give it a 9, but that's just my opinion on it. I've never been in a band situation with this so for that you should contact someone who is familiar with that!

I play Blues, Fusion, Classic rock and metal and this amp so far has done it all. To give some examples: Fusion Death Metal Heavy Metal If this was stolen I would do anything to get it back but if I failed, then I wouldn't know what to do. If I were to join a band I would maybe buy a used one since used GH50L's are pretty cheap. I love the fact that with and OD pedal this amp can just do anything. I love british voiced amps and Laney makes them more affordable! If I could change one thing about it, then I would make it less bright, rolling back treble fixes that so it's not too big of an issue really. There's no real favourite feature because it's a realy straightforward amp, you have the EQ, Resonance switch, volume, Gain and Drive and that's it! I compared it to amps like the Peavey 6505, Orange Rocker and a Marshall JVM combo. I chose this one because it could do anything the others could and it was cheaper. A 9 because I'm happy with it, and I don't think I woul trade it to another amp.

Never had a problem with this amp, always sounded good. I give it an 8 because I've never been in a band situation with it but I'm pretty sure it would last VERY long!

Don't know the year of making, sorry. This amp is extremely versatile. I've seen metalheads, rockers, jazz and fusion people use this amp. Me myself I try to play as many styles as possible including: Classic rock, fusion, metal and blues and believe me, it does it soo well! This is a single channel head with a footswitchable extra gain stage wich basicaly makes it 2 channel with shared EQ settings! I wish it had reverb, but I use my cheap Behringer DD400 so I'm not complaining. For the rest this amp has everything! I'm not in a band, I'm using it at home and it works just fine. A good tip might be to not get the matching 2x12 cabinet, it has Celestion 70/80 speakers in it and I don't mean they are bad, they're just not right for this amp. The amp is very bright and it's not a bad idea to roll back the treble and presence! The 70/80's are bright speakers so you should look for something darker or something to taste! It has plenty of clean headroom, I build an isolation box for the cabinet so I can crank it way up! The power amp distortion is really full and rich on this one, but stays really clean also. Even with gain on 4 it doesn't distort alot! You get a very warm tone and OOMPF if you know what I mean! I give it an 8 because it has all the feautures you really need, but comparing it to todays amps they all have like in build attenuator, noise gate, reverb etc...