GH50L review by Laney

Laney: GH50L

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Jimmys musc store

I use Gibson Les Paul and an American Telecaster with this amp. With the Les Paul I plug in to the low input and it screams! With the telecaster I plug in to the high input and I get about the same amount of gain. The telecasters neck pickup sounds surprisingly ballsy with it. This amp sounds like what I always expected Marshall JCM 800 to sound like. It is a classic rock amp that just drives that extra bit harder when you want it to. The clean sounds are very nice as well, but I mostly have it driven and clean up with the guitars volume pot. I find it responds very well to your guitars controls. The Les Paul has no interference, but the single coils can be bit noisy. There is some hiss when the Drive boost is on and it gets louder with the gain (show me an amp that doesn't). I've had this amp for over an year now, it was in perfect condition when I got it and I still haven't changed the valves on it, so some of the hiss might contribute to it as well. I play in a punk rock / melodic hardcore band and I never ran out of distortion, but I am sure some metal guys would like to add a pedal on front of it and it would be fine. For me it delivers the sound I hear in my head.

The type of music I use this amp for is as mentioned above Punk rock / melodic hardcore. This amp delivers for me! I have been playing guitar for almost 25 years and professionally 15 years. I have had several amps (Peavey, Fender, Epiphone, Laney) in the past, and Laney amps have always been the ones I've stuck with. If it was stolen, I would definitely find another one of these! I think for me it sounds better than Marshall, which I played several over the years. There are other amps out there I'd like, but they would not replace this amp, just add to the collection.

I can and do depend on it. I play music as my job, but I still am not in position where I can have two amps with me at gigs, so I don't have a back up. It has never let me down. It is built very well, but as any valve amp, I would not drop it.

Not sure when it was made. I find this amp to fit my playing style very well. With this amp I play modern punk rock, sometimes mess around with bit of blues, but just for fun and it has a great tone for that as well. The amp has one channel as such, but then it has a gain boost, that can Drive things wild. It has Effect loop, but I never used it. I like that it has several Ohm options for different speakers, has come handy when I only brought the head to a gig and used the venues cab. I use this amp at rehearsals, at live shows and for lots of studio work. It has more than enough power. If this amp is too quiet for you, get your hearing checked! It has all the usual knobs, high, mid low and presence and a resonance switch, volume, gain and a second gain for the Drive boost. I like my amps simple, so for me it is near perfection, but I am sure others would like to see more features here, so I'll give it an eight.