HCM10 review by Laney

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Laney: HCM10

Purchased from: Jensen Music

I'm using a Barracuda Strat copy with this amp, so it's nothing professional. I play classic rock all the way up to hard rock and metal, and I can't really say this amp delievers. The clean is ok, nothing out of the ordinary though. When cracked on the clean, it makes a horrible hissing noise. On the crunch, it's limited. The crunch is good up to about the halfway mark, and then from there it just goes wild. If absolutely horrible note clarity is what your after, you found it. I'm not sure if its a problem with my wiring or not, but I found the sound on this amp really lacking.

As I mentioned before, I play Classic Rock to Hard Rock and Metal, and I just couldn't get alot of the sounds of this amp. I would say this is best suited to Punk and Emo, where the crunch would fit in. I have been playing for 8 months, and I got this amp in a beginners package with a guitar, case, cord, tuner, and picks. Having been a complete newb at the time I purchased this, I don't see any questions I wish I had asked. I should have looked around for more effects, however. If this was lost or stolen, I would buy another amp, likely a used tube amp. This amp just has too limited of a sound range for my music styles. The best part of this amp would have to be the clean channel, at low levels its alright. The worst part is the crunch channel when cranked up, its absolutely horrible. Overall, this is a good beginners amp if your on a budget, it will get you through for a bit, but then when you get more proficient at guitar and your needs for sound go up, you'll realize this just can't deliever.

I have only used this amp at home for practicing, without any problems at all. It doesn't have enough wattage for gigging though. You might be able to hear it if your in a normal sized room in your house, but beyond that its not able to stand out over the other instruments. I have had this amp for 8 months, and haven't had any problems. I wouldn't go around beating this amp out, but it looks pretty sturdy.

I'm not exactly sure the year this amp was made, I'm guessing sometime during 2004. It was made in China. The features are: one channel, bass/mid/treble, headphone jack, CD input, and a button that applies the crunch mode (settings are the same as the as the 'clean' mode). This is a 0 Watt solid state amp, but its loud! I would have wished that it had an extra channel for a seperate crunch channel, as it's a pain having to re-adjuste everything. I use this amp in my practice room at home, and it has more than enough power. I rarely ever put it over half way, its too loud for me otherwise.

WlCmToTheJungle
    This amp is not very good if you have been playing for over a year, this was my first amp and then i bought a roland cube about, a year later, i put this away for another 2 years and i took this along on a trip because its tiny and wow, it sounded so much worse than the cube, i couldnt beleive it because it used to sound so good, maybe my ear got better. Anyway, DONT buy this if you havev been playing over a year