HCM10 review by Laney

Laney: HCM10

I've used a strat copy (S/S/S) and now a LTD Viper 30th anniversary. It sounded fine with both those guitars, I prefer the LTD but the strat copy sounded fine. I play bits of everything and I can get what I like from it. Granted I can't get Opeth-esque death metal from it but that's about it. When you sue the distortion feature there is hum added before you play. All in all I like the sound the amp gives, the clean sound are great and the distortion healthy.

For a beginner practise amp I think this is a great product. As I said before I find it does clean and mild distortion well and handles them to my satisfaction. If it was lost/stolen I wouldn't get another one, not because of dissatisfaction over the product but simply because I have moved on to tube amps. I love that it's small, light, and sounds good for a small amount of coin. I gave it a high rating as I am rating it against other SS amps I have tried or heard played. I am not suggesting for an instant that this is better or as good as something like a mesa or what have you but I think for what it was designed for it does well.

I have owned this for 4 years without a hassle problem or any worry. I wouldn't gig with it, however I do trust the craftmenship of the amp. Everytime I whip out this amp whether it be from storage in a dusty cold old she'd or after it's been kicked over in my room or thrown around it still works as well as when I first got it, no complaints.

I received the amp for a birthday present back in 2002. Basically the ap has a great clean sound and a nice crunch when you add distortion, not metal but a classic/hard rock tone. Only 1 channel. I wish it had more channels and much more I would like in a newer amp puchase but basically for what it is I think it does the job splendidly. I don't use the EQ much, mainly because I don really know how or really need to. I use it only for practise at my home, it suits this to a tee.

Kikuta
    WlCmToTheJungle wrote: This amp is not very good if you have been playing for over a year, this was my first amp and then i bought a roland cube about, a year later, i put this away for another 2 years and i took this along on a trip because its tiny and wow, it sounded so much worse than the cube, i couldnt beleive it because it used to sound so good, maybe my ear got better. Anyway, DONT buy this if you havev been playing over a year
    Why just over a year? I wouldn't reccomend it at all. If you're serious about guitars, no matter how long you've been playing, you'll be smart and won't buy an amp like this.
    Kikuta
    Indeed it is a beginner amp, but hey. Some people might buy one as a cheap practise amp. I pity them.
    Hells_Bell
    My friend had this a while ago, and I thought it sounded like complete crap. If youre going for a beginer amp, you should go for the Ibanze TB15R. I had one, and I played both the Laney and it, the Ibanez was a lot better and its cheaper in most music stores. I realy don't see any good reason to buy this amp, as a beginer amp ot practice.
    sid-x
    HA HA HA thats all i can say about this amp the crunch chanel is a joke if you get the crunch to the right setting it just fuzzes and gives a horrible noise turn it down it sounds like Shit. the only possitives i can give it is the clean channel in the right setting is a dream and i can play my bass thorugh this amp and its very sturdy