HCM10 review by Laney

Laney: HCM10

Price paid: € 80

Purchased from: EIG

This was my first amp when I started playing, and at that time I played a cheap strat, similar to most Squier-strats. For that, as a beginner guitarist, the amp is fine. You don't need a $800 Marshall for practising basic chords and simple licks. You can play quite loud if you want, good for jamming and stuff. The clean sound is not very special. With a Fender Telecaster (which I play now) I had a hard time finding the right sound for it and I had to turn the bass knob fully open and the mid and treble just a little. With a distortion (Boss DS-1) the amp sounds fine, but the crunch is not that good. After a couple of years it's time for a new amp, but I'd actually recommend this one for beginners.

I've been playing a lot of different styles, mostly rock, but also blues, jazz, metal and pop. As said before, it's fine for practising and I don't regret buying it. Now I'm a bit done with it because I'd like to check out different effects and I think my Telecaster can do better on another amp, so I'm considering buying a Fender Mustang I or II or maybe a Vox VT15. I'm rating it 7 because I enjoyed it for the past few years, and price vs. Quality was fine, but it's not a perfectly good amp.

Not very good for gigs because of its small size, you can hardly hear it when playing along with a drummer and bassist. But I've moved it around a lot, took it with me on my bike and used it very often, and it still works as if I bought it yesterday. Never had any problems with it.

This 20 watt amp was made in 2004 in China, designed in the U.K. It has a crunch knob, which produces a light distortion sound, a bass, mid and treble knob and of course a master volume. It has a headphone jack and also a cd/line input. So actually little effects, no gain or reverb stuff. And although is not a very large amp, it can produce some high volumes. So it's all rather basic.