HCM15R Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 12/27/2006 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Laney: HCM15R
The Hardcore Max HCM15R offers 15 watts RMS of full on hardcore max power. Packed full of big amp features the HCM15R offers a clean channel with full three band EQ and a full on MAX distortion channel with independent Crunch and Level controls for full on extreme distortion. Combine this with Reverb, a CD input that allows you to play along with your favorite players and a headphone output for silent practice and you've got a killer little amp.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 7.7
 8.2
 7.2
 10,319
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
HCM15R Reviewed by: Rock Boy, on november 08, 2006

Purchased from: imuso

Features: This amp features 15-watts of power runned through a custom 8" speaker. There are two channels, clean and crunch. There is a three bands equalizer and a reverb knob. The name says Hardcore Max, and the amp keeps its promises! The crunch channel has an own knob for amount of crunch and a volume knob. There are line in and headphones jacks. This amp suits almost all styles of music, except from more overdrivy styles like country and blues. No footswich functions. // 8

Sound: You can make good sounds with this amp. The crunch channel is great, but can be noisy if you have too much high on max volume or if you have a noisy guitar or cable. It suits my style perfectly! I like that the clean channel stays clean when the volume turns greater. I use a DigiTech DF7 Distortion Factory pedal instead of the amp distortion, because there is a lot of more flexibility in the pedal. I also use a DigiTech Digital Delay pedal to make delay. I will get a modulation pedal soon. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It has never failed me practicing at home, and I don't think it would fail me at a gig either. I would gladly use it on a gig because of the solid construction and the great clean tone, but I will add distortion though via the DF7 because of the flexibelity. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is great! I usually play punk to rock to hard rock to metal and this amp can do it all. I only wish that it had a footswich and a digital effects loop included. If I were to lose it, I would buy a amp with more power though, I think a Marshall. I don't think Laney Make these amps anymore, they have replaced them with the LX series. The HCM15R have been switched with LX20R. But it's a great bought, especially because it costs under 150$. // 9

HCM15R Reviewed by: chckndmplngs, on december 27, 2006

Purchased from: Brookdale Music

Features: This 15 Watt amp is definitely a beginner's amplifier. I got this amp about three years ago in a beginner's package with a guitar. This amp has a clean setting and a "crunch" setting. It has a headphone jack, a line in jack, three equalizer knobs (Bass, Mid, Treble) and a reverb setting. The reverb isn't too great, but it is good for a beginning amplifier. I just use this amp at home and it is good for just playing around. // 8

Sound: I am using a Washburn X10 guitar and I usually play jazz with this amp and it doesn't give me the results I want for jazz, but it's fine. When I play with a lot of volume, it seems like it's on the crunch setting because it makes it fuzzy. The sound is okay for most guitar playing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I never use this amp for playing outside of my house, but it has never broken down. I have carried it throughout my house to listen to different environments and it has never busted anything. Although, sometimes I'll move it and it will sound like a spring broke. // 9

Overall Impression: I usually play jazz and this amp fits it well but there are sometimes where I wish the sound was a little bit "softer". I will probably upgrade to a 30 watt amp or something soon but for now, this amp is fine. I got this amp along with my first guitar, a Washburn X10, in a beginner's package. I really didn't know anything about guitars then so I really didn't care. Overall this amp is good for a beginner Who is just playing around in their home. // 7

Comments