HCM30 review by Laney

Laney: HCM30

Purchased from: Music Force

I'm using it with my 2002 Les Paul custom with stock standard Gibson pickups and the sound is incredible at medium gain settings (5-6). With the bass pumped up things get a bit mushy, but push the treble and middle whilst slighty holding back the bass will give you amazing sounds. Feedback at high volumes is quite pleasant unlike what some Marshall amps are prone to. Blues playing is perfect for the clean channel, when the bass is turned up. Witht he right amount of tinkering and the right pickups, I'm confident you could get any tones you wanted out of it.

When I first got it I was amazed by what big sounds could come from such a small amp (in comparison to amps with larger wattages). If it was stolen I'd probably get a Laney from the hardcore series again, but probably a 100+ just for convenience of playing larger gigs.

I've had this amp for 3 years and have never had a problem with it. The rugged steel grill prevents damaged to the speaker and the knobs are heavy duty. There is no need for servicing as it never breaks down.

For beginners this amp is awesome aswell as well as experienced players. I pretty much use this amp for practise and home recordings as it gives me the perfect tones for my rock/blues style. It has clean volume, crunch factor (gain) and master volume for distortion, equalisation (bass, middle, treble) aswell as a max switch that boosts your treble if need be. There are also headphone, footswitch and external speaker jacks and CD/line in ports. It would be nice if it had reverb for smoother styles but if rocks what you want then it will suffice.