HCM30 review by Laney

Laney: HCM30

I've been using a Fender Mexican Stratocaster with its original pickups still on. Might plan to shift to an HSS setup later but for now I'm pretty happy. I'm experimenting with lots of styles, from classic rock and blues to doom metal. I've played my friends BC Rich NJ Warlock through it and had no problem going through more brutal stuff. Eventually though I'll probably be going for a grunge/psychedelic style. Although I'd find no problem with the grunge (gives some beautiful feedback) it'd be a little hard to get the echo needed for a pink floyd-like sound. The amp is more suitable for rock than clean sounds. The amp is practically a monster in disguise when it comes to volume. When practicing at home I rarely put the clean volume higher than one otherwise the rest of my family would rip my head off. Very powerful for a 30 watter.

Its a great amp for a beginner, considering my other option was a 15 watt Marshall, or a 15 watt Behringer. I'll move onto something more powerful later (around 100 watts) and get something else that can play cleaner tones, preferably with reverb. I think the thing I like most about it is the ability to make everyone in my house swear whenever I play something through it. I'm not exactly thinking of making a career of playing music, I'm learning guitar mostly for personal use, small sized gigs, and plan on building a collection of them later. So I'll probably be using smaller amps throughout, this one might very well serve for a long time yet.

Serial 177
    I use the HCM30R.. it came with reverb.. i used it 4 2.5 years and i neverhad a problem now i use a spider III which rox but i still keep this baby it rox
    maui-wowie420
    I have it and wouldn't recommend it. Do not like the sound from it and have stopped using it as there is a constant buzzing sound from it which I think is related to the power supply, I could probably fix it, but have never bothered to try.
    Sudaka
    very good amp. really loud. not too well on features, but it's pretty good though