HCM65R review by Laney

Laney: HCM65R

Purchased from: A remus sound

I use this amp with a stratocaster with flat wounds(jazz strings, ) a superstrat and an electro acoustic. It copes with all styles perfectly but with the electro acoustic it sounds a bit weak and thin however, I would put that down to the guitar rather than the amp. I have never distorted the clean channel but the highest I have been is at 6. The distortion feature is awesome on this with two knobs, one for volume and another for crunch, and a max button that enhances the distortion for all you metalheads out there.

This amp is idea for me and I would really recommend this amp to others. Been playing 6 years now and this amp is a lot better than anything else I have seen for the price. If it was lost/stolen would buy Laney again possible not same model. Worst things are the weight and possibly the reverb which seems like an after thought! Best thing is the reliability.

Reliable as you like. Never had a problem. Build quality is superb and even the footswitch that came with it looks like it can take a beating, they call it 'hardcore' for a reason! Has lost a rubber footer though but I'm not counting that. One thing that could be a problem is the open back which could cause the speaker to be damaged but this has not happened to me.

I bought this amp in late 2004 from local guitar shop. It is a simple solid state amp with two channels (clean and distortion) and I bought it with a foot Switch. It has an fx send and return which would be useful if you have fx (I don't) and also an external speaker socket in the back for when you need more power! I use this amp for everything, both bedroom and Live, for the bigger gigs have mic'ed it up. The amp is extremely versatile and has covered everything playing jazz at a big town hall to metal in the worst venue known to man. It even has reverb.