HCM65R review by Laney

Laney: HCM65R

Purchased from: Cash Converters

I play pretty much all styles of music, blues, jazz, pop, hard rock, metal, classic rock etc. Obviously it can't do metal without an overdrive or distortion pedal, but takes effects well. It isnt very noisy, maybee a little when the crunch is on full, but not a problem really. Clean channel is really great for light stuff, OD channel is bluesy rock/ rock type distortion, not enough for metal heads really. For a musician playing different genres of music, pretty good.

For 90 I was blown away by this amp, powerful enough for a gig (especially when you mic it up) reliable enough to go on tour, and has a really great tone. I don't think you can buy this anymore, as I think it has been discontinued, but if you see one around, get it! The single thing I would have liked on this amp is maybee another crunch channel, with more gain for heavier stuff, but other than that, it's excellent. I have played through Marshalls, Staggs, Carlsboros, and even an old Vox, and in my opnion, I would always choose this amp. For 90, it's simply amazing!

Now this is where it gets good! Verrryy reliable! It was second hand when I bought it, and that was two years ago! Never ever had a problem with it, in any way. I will probably be keeping this amp for a long time, especially when gigging, at least as a backup. I would always depend on this amp in any situation.

I wouldn't say this amp is very versatile, as the only crunch you can get is maybee some mild rock, blues etc. However, when pedals are added to the equation, then this amp is really quite good. Overdrive is a good base to be boosted by distortion/OD pedals. Has a pretty good reverb too. Clean very nice! Also has sockets for headphones and a speaker, which is great if you need more power.

Biffman
    A friend of mine has one of these, he uses a Epiphone SG Special and it sounds awesome through this amp. Now it just sits in his room
    darkmetalhead
    i have this amp and it suits me well but i dont actually know if its a solid state or a tbe amp.any help?
    RiveraShreds
    Great amplifier for having in your room. Not so great together with other instruments like percussion. It sounds great with my Zoom G2 effect pedal and i've had it for seven years and it still sounds really good. I'm very happy with it, just don't expect to use it for any live shows or for band practice because it's not really good when going up beyond 5/6.