IronHeart IRT120H review by Laney

Laney: IronHeart IRT120H

Purchased from: Rockem music

I'm running this using a Jackson with EMG 81/85 and a Schecter with Duncan Designed. The amps cleans are nice although as I previously mentioned both clean and rhythm channel share the same EQ. Although the rhythm channel I feel has plenty enough distortion it keeps me satisfied, I play metal from classic Metallica to Parkway Drive to Bloodbath, I feel the rhythm channel alone is fully capable of awesome tones for this. Then you have the lead channel, which is another step up heavier, and on top of that the Boost which is brutal. The reverb is little disappointing as it doesn't have much effect unless turned to about 5/6. I'm playing though a 2x12 Laney cab with V30s. The amp insane, you have great tones with the wattage low or high, I usually have it round 15 watts and its powerful!

This amp is perfect for me, it also has a red led bar in it which gives it an awesome glowing effect. This is my main amp, I've been set on it and love it. I've been playing for about 8 years and this amp just compliments my playing style. I was set on either the iron heart or a Blackstar HT100, I decided the iron heart was the way forward and I don' regret it one bit, it has all I need and more

I've only had it a few weeks, but the amp is built in a very solid casing, The handels are built in to the head using metal and has a cross wire style cage.

Made in 2011, the Laney Ironheart I feel is very versatile! 4 ECC83s, 2 6l6 (convertible to EL34s) The amp is great round varying from blues to metal, but perfect for metal! The amp has 3 channels, clean, rhythm and lead although on top of that you also have a boost which can be used on each channel each which has its own volume control. The amp uses a push and pull EQ, it is strange coming from a generic amplifier, although you do hear the difference using the push pull EQ. The lead channel has its own EQ but the Rhythm and Clean Channel share the one EQ, which I feel is a slight downfall. What I love about it is, that ti has a wattage Control, you can reduce it from whether you have the 60 watt or the 120 watt right down to 1 watt! The Dynamic and tone control are a great addition, the dynamic control tightens the lows and the tone changes the overall sound of the amp. Like I said previously before the amp is convertible from 6l6 to El34 there is a biasing switch behind the amp, just switch to what tubes you are using easy as. The footswitch which comes with it, is well build in a metal casing, it has 4 switches, Lead, Clean, Reverb, Boost. Although it is tricky to configure at first as you need both Lead and clean channels off to use the rhythm channel you get used to it. The amp is powerful even at low volumes

Random3
    rv_phoenix wrote: Laneys suck anyway, no matter what the price is!
    I predict that this user is no older than 14.
    MM14
    I disagree
    meticadpa
    rv_phoenix wrote: Laneys suck anyway, no matter what the price is!
    Go and tell that to Paul Gilbert. He used Laney amps for ages, and he's gotten some pretty amazing tones from them.
    blackborrego
    rv_phoenix wrote: Laneys suck anyway, no matter what the price is!
    Shut your mouth kid, you don't know what you're saying.
    SISO
    rv_phoenix wrote: Linkerman wrote: rv_phoenix wrote: Laneys suck anyway, no matter what the price is! Go away, troll. That's a briliant piece of wisdom, indeed. And it really makes Laneys better than they really are.
    Pff, "Laneys suck anyway" is really elaborated, isn't it?
    Sakke
    Stop trolling.
    Sparda93
    Tony Iommi uses Laney, does he not? The troll automatically failed. I`ve got an ancient Laney TF200 right next to me from 94' and until the tubes dried up the thing was a monster, just a reverb and a vibe effect, but the thing is as load as the roar of a dying wargod. 120w might explain why..
    MaggaraMarine
    If something's better than Laney it doesn't mean that Laney sucks, it means that Laney is good and the other amp is great.
    timmoral
    Tone is in the ear of the beholder... Every tone has a place... Tone is not the holy grail, it is the starting point.
    RockGuitarist09
    Laney's are very reliable. And care to explain why all tube amps are unreliable? Tubes rarely break. I've dropped a Laney tube amp from body height onto solid concrete and it worked just aswell as it did before dropping it and the tubes were not harmed.
    ohhell
    oh I loved my LANEY GH100TI my first day with the amp from Hell amp 1.300- show that day 300+ amp starts on fire no money for show 300- store gave me a new amp free an other show that night amp 2 starts on fire fire marshal shows up closes the bar down and yes lawsuit I want back to the store they would not give me my money back just an other amp wall that started lawsuit 2 (the amp slipped out of my hand and hit the manger) total lawsuit 1 5.000 lawsuit 2 9.000 (with lawyer) amp 1.300 (I broke amp 3 when it slipped new amp MARSHALL3.500
    rv_phoenix
    Linkerman wrote: Then i have far more experience than you with Laney amps, and you must be tone deaf, because the cleans are really good. Not only they have a great sound, they're also well-built and reliable. Also, they're not very expensive. Laney amps are awesome.
    You might have some experience in Laneys, but, since I've played (and will play again) in bands making records (not demos!), writing and producing songs myself, in real commercial studios, also since I've played on virtually all great amps in the last 30 years, I assume I'm not so deaf. Quite the contrary. Everybody who knows Laneys might assume you are the deaf guy in here. If you say laneys cleans are good, then I assume you have never heard a Brunetti or an Engl, or a genuine HiWatt from the '70s in your life. And I've never said Laneys are very expensive. Just expensive. Which they are: twice the price of amps like Crate or Kustom, of the same (mediocre) quality. Too much for their value.
    the92wildchild
    Laney rules all the way,just add a ts9/mini/808 to your investment and you'll be an instant tone god .. Ive had both ironheart and gh 50L,and lemme tell you that with a boost even Gh50L was a monster with its true british tone . With the right tweaking you'll be an instant tone God . go for any of them .. check out the tone test of my new Irt Studio @1watt ..!!
    Gristlepig
    My all tube Laney sounded like arse. Paul Gilbert? What's some shredder or something? Well, if he got good tones out of his, he either had a good tech mod them, or he had an old marshall hidden behind the drums mic'ed up.
    rv_phoenix
    synestershadows wrote: If you say Laneys suck you obviously have never heard of them.
    MaggaraMarine
    Tone is a matter of taste but people should calm down. And we don't want to hear that kind of troll comments especially when you don't even tell us why you don't like them. But really, if somebody leaves a troll comment don't get pissed. Just ignore them.
    Kevins_1988
    I've used this head for a good two years now, both live and in studio. I've never had problems with it, people often compliment it's sound. I don't really use the clean channel only rythm and lead. I play thrash/death metal, it's tight as **** and can cut through any mix. So if you're låooking for a nice solid amp, the Ironheart is the way to go of you dont shit cash.
    Insertdisk
    I don't know a lot about these heads. But at a gig of After The Burial, The Haarp Machine and Born of Osiris and Monuments, two of these heads broke and they had to switch to the AXE FX's. It was the new guitarist of the Haarp Machine who was using the Ironheart and had to use the AXE FX of the guy from Monuments. I don't know the cause of these failures but the head seems like shit to me :p
    reg parsons
    lolol...my Laney Ironheart kicks ass...if mastertroll rv phoenix is such a good muso like hes tryin to make out he is..why is he trollin the forums
    shredzilla19
    I've been using the Laney Ironheart 120h for about three months and I have to say its one of the best heads I've used, its packs loads more punch compared to my previous line 6 head. Plus if I'm in a heavy mood I crack out my Ibanez RG2627ze or mtm100 and shred the roof down but yet when I'm in a bluesy mood get out my Gibson sg and it just sounds awesome. 595 off Thomman.com great amp great value
    GreenDayfan445
    rv_phoenix wrote: Laneys suck anyway, no matter what the price is!
    Oh-my-god, shut up! If you don't like it then don't come here! Jesus
    Linkerman
    rv_phoenix wrote: Yes I did. One of my closest friends has three of them, an all-tube and two SS. Some of the worst cleans in the upper range of all-tube amps. A surprising feature, for a company reportedly based in England. As for the SS amps, let's not talk about them. And they're expensive too!
    rolfeijg
    Lol, for that money you could get yourself a Mesa triple rectifier haha xD I wonder what the actual prize was... implying this is incorrect xD