IronHeart IRT60H review by Laney

Laney: IronHeart IRT60H

I've used three guitars with this: a Strat with two humbuckers, a PRS with two buckers and an Ibanez Jazz Box, also with two HBs. IT sounds amazing with all three. The first two obviously can achieve basically cany metal sound you want and can also cover mellow blues, and any rock or fusion sound you could get out of a Marshall or Mesa Boogie. I mention these two cause it can either take EL34s or GLGs. And on the clean channel with the Jazzbox I get a very lively and pleasing, and completely clean at high vol., lo-fi sound. Impressive is all I have to say. I have yet to find an electric guitar sound this baby doesn't do better than any other amp I've owned. Now on to the brutes: it's designed with metal in mind and oh man does it produce. It can get insanely high-gain sounds with the lead channel or rhythm, which are basically the same and have independent EQs. Using the WATT knob, you can tweek to get higher or lower gain but if you crank this SOB you can get death metal easily, not that I play that hard. But it's there if you want it. Do away with all your stomp boxes unless you like modulating or delay. I still keep a noise suppressor around just in case, cause this thing runs really hot.

My overall impression is this is the best amp I've ever owned. I've been playing for more than 15 years and have owned Fender tube amps, Marshalls, other more classic Laneys, Randalls, etc. Like I said before, this thing can top any of those in basically any genre. I know some people will criticize for me raving about this thing but go to a store and try it out for yourself. It's the perfect amp for a person who plays metal and can do rock and other more mellow styles superbly too. Perhaps it's not for those who want something simple, because this thing has three channels, dozens of knobs and features. It's not that cheap, but compared to a Marshall, Boogie or Bogner it IS and is worth every penny.

Can't say, I've only owned it a week. I have another Laney, made in China, that isn't that reliable, but this is supposedly made in the UK. In any case, it's a tube amp so it can't be THAT reliable.

Don't know when it was made but recently. The amp is extremely versatile. Geared mostly for metal but can handle classic rock and has enough headroom to even do jazz. It's an impressive piece of equipment. Has 3 channels: clean, rhythm and lead, the latter two with enough gain that you'll ever need. It also has several novelty knobs like a dynamic one, a tone know and my favorite, a WATT knob that lets you go from 1W to 60W depending on how loud and saturated you want to sound. It has other stuff too. Best check the catalogue. But it's packed with features. By the way, it's loaded with 60W total watts from 4 ECC83 preamp tubes and two power tubes that can either be EL34s or 6L6s.