LC50 review by Laney

Laney: LC50

I currently use my Jackson ke3 through it, I use my bridge pickup for high gain, metal stuff and the neck pickup for clean stuff, and the clean channel is very smooth and warm, it is superior to my old Roland Cube 60 and it competes well with Marshall cleans, for hi gain this amp is superior to any other in it's price range, the gain can be a bit loose on occasions though, but nothing a few eq tweaking and possibly a noise gate can't fix, it obviously doesn't compare to amp's which are over 800, but I would seriously consider this if you were looking to spend nearly 500. I can't comment on the amp on medium to high volume as I haven't had the chance to try it out but I assume it will be even better as tube amps get better the louder they go.

I play metal primarily and the gain is very controlled (except on occasions) but I am considering buying a valve overdrive/distortion pedal to compliment the tubes. I have been playing for 4 1/2 years and I've played Marshall avt's (which are nothing compared to this), jcm700 or 800(which I didn't find impressive but I didn't have enough time to eq it properly to my preference), Bugera's and peaveys and this outshines them all (except maybe the Marshall jcm800 or 700). The only thing I wish is that a footswitch was included but nevermind

The amp is fairly heavy but also very sturdy, but it's a tube amp so have to be careful of the tubes. I would be able to use this without a backup but I wouldn't as it's common sense to always have a backup. I have not yet to encounter customer service so I cannot comment on that.

I am unsure what year this amp was made but I bought it a couple of days ago and so I assume 2008 as it comes with full Laney warranty, this amp has two channels, clean and drive, it also has low input and high input which if you haw a low output guitar your supposed to put it in high output, and with a high output guitar to put it in low input, but I just put it in high input, the clean channel has gain, bass, volume, middle, treble knobs and a bright button. The Drive section has bass middle treble volume and a modern button, which I find makes the distortion more tight, it has main controls which are tone and reverb. It is a 50 watt tube amp, which is more than you'd ever need.

Clutch32192
    roadking1016
    I have a Laney LC-50 II that I picked up on eBay for $300.00 with shipping and I would not trade it for anything. I have owned Mesa's, Marshall, etc. This is by far the better amp and the loudest 50 watts I ever heard. I run the amps gain on 4 and use either an Ibanez TS or the MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive when I need the extra gain.
    jean_genie
    TBezza
    I own a laney LC50 and would reccomend it to anyone, I think it has best reverb I've heard. The clean mode is the nicest sound too.
    Clutch32192
    jean_genie wrote: Clutch32192 wrote: -how much is ^375 in $ -is the clean good, cause i play mostly rhcp to hendrix sound? -would it compliment a tele, cause i'm planning to get one i'm looking for one good final tube amp to keep for a long time - The pound is between $1.40 and $1.90, depending on how crappy our economy is at the time. - RHCP would probably sound better with a class AB amp. Hendrix with an ever-so-slightly overdriven class A. I'd recommend getting a lower-wattage amp than you think you need, and cranking it. - Try it, goober! It's personal preference! I think my hollowbody sounds terrible on anything but a class A amp, but many of my friends disagree. But I use both pickups to get an 'electrified acoustic' sound, while my friends are using the neck pup only for a jazz sound.
    did u call me goober...no problem, it was a stupid question
    im_atheist
    I have the Laney LC50 Mark II, the Drive channel doesn't have a modern switch. But I'd recommend this amp! Cleans are crystal clear and the Drive is thick and warm. I adore this amps reverb and it sounds great if you stick a decent distortion pedal infront of it! love it!
    lyonk55
    Is the LH50 basicly a head version of this - this sounds good but the LH50 appears to be the only one I can try in local shops.
    MaggaraMarine
    Les Paul Ell wrote: JCM 700?!
    + 1. The reviewer may not have even played jcm series amps. He's just telling that to sound more pro. There's no such a thing as jcm 700. Or then he has but doesn't remember the model.
    conorf193
    this is a great amp. but its important to note mine has randomly stopped working twice. laney fix it for free but it would be better if it never stopped in the first place
    1273seant
    hi i have the mark 1 verssion which has 2 sovtek 5881 tubes is thier any difference in mark 1 and mark 211 the stock speaker is hh speaker is it 8 or 16 ohm as i can not tell markings are gone off it thanks sean