LG35R review by Laney

Laney: LG35R

Purchased from: GAK

I play this amp through single coil pickups, but nothing special, and it does still sounds very good. When I play punk, rock or alternative, it suits them all well, though heavier genres it wouldnt, but I'm talking very heavy metal and death metal, it can play stuff like hard rock alright. The clean channel sounds clean most of the way up, sounds fine up til about 9 on volume, and the distortion cracks up near 9 too, but lower if gain is turned up. But for practise, or band practise it's plenty loud enough at 4 or 5 (normally in my room I have it at 1 or 2) and it sounds great! I gigged it at 8, and it sounded pretty good too.

I love this amp, it's a very good solid state amp, and I did extensive research before buying it, and it looked the best 30W amp around for this price. Overall, very good value, and if I lost it, I reckon I would buy it again, or if not, definitely another Laney.

It's pretty new (few months), but it's built like a brick, and I can tell it's gonna take a lot to damage it. I've gigged it once (small gig at mate's house) and it did fine, no problems at all. It's definitely a well built amp and should last a good while.

I recently purchased this amp, so I guess it was probably made in 2007, it's pretty new anyway. I play mostly rock, punk and alternative, and the amp is pretty good for those genres, probably wouldn't be so good for metal, as when I tried playing metal, it wasn't to great, but for punk and rock, it sounded really good. There are 2 channels (clean and distortion) both have separate volume controls, but only 1 EQ, but that doesn't matter for me. The EQ options are treble, middle and bass, and for the distortion channel it has Drive (which is gain) and a 'scoop' button which give more bass. An extra feature is reverb, which is pretty good, but I hardly use it. The amp also has a headphones socket, a footswitch socket (uses a Laney F/S-2 one, which is good an worth paying 15 for), a external speaker socket, and there's a CD in socket, to play CDs through the amp. All in all, it has a good set of features.