LG35R review by Laney

Laney: LG35R

Purchased from: GC

I'm playing a telecaster and an SG mainly. For big jazzy sounds you may like another amp, maybe even tubes, but for decent cleans and lightly distorted blues it is perfect. You can get good rock tones and incredible metal sounds in which the Scoop Switch is very helpful. A bit noisy when distorted but nothing too nasty. You can get very different kinds of cleans by tweaking the EQ and using the reverb and scoop switch, from almost Acoustic to funky riffs. The amp is not distorted even if you max out the volume when playing on clean. The distortion can get really heavy but if youre playing raw black metal you may want to get external distortions.

It is a good match for my RHCP style but of course when playing frusciantes stuff you need a lot of stompboxes to get his "tone", you also need tubes so I'm getting an English Muffin so that I get tube distortion without carrying a heavy Marhsall head. I have been playing for six years, and own a nasty Marshall MG100HFX that I use in my nasty drummer's house, and some small crappy amps. I plan leaving that band so I'll probably be using my LG35R with the Marshall MG speaker if it happens to be more than 4 ohm-resistant. (Yeah, I know, less wattage, but better tone from the LG than from the MG). I went to the store looking for a Laney Cub 8 and a delay, but the cubs where sold out so when trying the delay I had to try it in the LG, and it really surprised me as I thought at first it was a tube because of the design. Of course tube sound is better than solid state, but I can depend more on transistors than on tubes. I want tube tones so I'll get an English Muffin as I said before. If it was lost I would be very angry as I love it, and well, probably buy it again (why not?). I love the scoop Switch and the cleans, I dont hate anything about it, although the reverb is not something out of this world but works well. I also love that even though it has no FX loop, it is very "stompbox friendly", and the speaker wont break when using too much external distortion. I don't need anything else in an amp apart from EQ, distortion and maybe reverb, so this is a good match for me and for anyone looking for a good power that still fits in your car and also versatile for the studio.

The amp is really heavy for its size, but it's mainly because it is very resistant. The thick wood is covered by the leather finish (I suppose it is synthetic), also the handle is made of leather and wont break. The controls are on top so its easier to change your settings ant also save space. I would use it in a small gig as a standalone or miked in a bigger one without a backup, as solid states are very reliable and thats another thing I like about them.

This amp was made on 2010. Its a very versatile and useful combo. I play some jazz and blues at my music school and mainly Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff with my band:D. It delivers very good cleans, incredible for a solid state amplifier. It feautures 2 channels, which are clean and crunch, as on most solid state amps, with a global 3-band equalizer for both of them, and a volume for the clean and a gain and master volume for the crunch. There is also a Reverb (not nasty at all, pretty decent but is not a very lush or "big" effect), and a "Scoop" button, that mainly boosts the mids and so giving a fatter sound. Input, Footswitch (FS2, not included), and CD/Line In. Outputs for the headphones and an external speaker, which is a feauture I love. The speaker has to be 4 ohms minimum.