LV100 review by Laney

Laney: LV100

Laney amps, in my opinion, have the best tone. I have an Epiphone Les Paul and it works beautifully. It has a nice, fat, deep, powerful tone on high gain. Both clean and distorted tones are kind of bassy. I play almost everything, from pop, altrock, blues and jazz to hard rock and heavy metal and it handles it nicely. But it isn't the best amp for metal. But if you tweak a little you could get a pretty nice tone for metal. The clean channel doesn't get distorted. This amp doesn't have the most brutal distortion, but on really high gain it gets pretty aggressive. But as I said, it is kind of bassy. I was surprised that I could get such a wonderful tone out of such a cheap amp.

This amp is really good. I've tried a Roland Micro Cube and ofcourse it doesn't even compare to this one. I love the mid~high gain sounds, so fat and deep. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy a more expensive amp. I've considered the Roland Cube 30, but it sounded too digital, and I've also considedred the Fender Frontman 25, but it didn't quite have the tone that this amp provides. It isn't a perfect amp, but I'm pretty happy with it.

I've used this for a few months and there are no problems. But I would use a backup, because it might blow or something. But I think it will be quite a while before it blows. I've heard some other people who have used Laney amps and they seem to have no problems with it.

I don't know the year this was made in. This amp is plenty versatile enough for me. I play Heavy metal, punk rock, alternative rock stuff and a little Jimi Hendrix. This isn't the most versatile amp, but it is enough.It has 2 channels, clean and Drive. There is an effects loop and a headphone jack, although I never used the headphone jack. this amp is 65 watts. I use it for small shows (I'm a student, so the only gigs I do are in front of other kids) and home. It's very loud so I usually use it at very low volume. It also has a bright switch for the clean channel and two switches for the Drive channel. One is a scoop switch and the other is the VTS tone shaping button. I don't know how it works but it changes the tone slightly, so you could get the sounds you want.

Jin12345678
    It's more like weak on treble than bassy. It's only an entry level amp, so don't expect the best sound out of this one. nevertheless, It has a nice tone.
    mauroo
    Its clean sound is very good, it's versatile and you can set it the way you like; but the distorted sound is not that good, there is too much bass in it, and you cannot fix it beacuse the bright switch only works in clean sound.... by the way: VTS button is piece of crap. This amp is a good investment if you have your old distortion stompbox.
    mauroo
    Yes, footswithch allows you switching channels (clean and drive) and reverb.
    Ridddle
    would anyone recommend this for someone who needs an upgrade from a practice amp??
    JackWhitesCool
    I would recommend the model up from this, the LV200. Basically the same thing excepth with an extra channel. The distortion is much better. You can get anything from Master of the puppets down to Eric Clapton. Well worth a look.
    Jin12345678
    oh and you could get a very nice sound out of this amp if you always have the master volume up close to 10 and use the eqs as volume control. sounds much less fizzier and warm and organic and thick. really great. much better, even ,than the marshall avt in my opinion. you would have to put the eqs almost up to half to play with a band.
    vincecallmelove
    I'm wondering if there is anything special you have to do to make the footswitch change channels? It works to cut the reverb on and off on both channels but won't change channels, from clean to drive and vice versa, any help would be appreciated. Thanks Vince