LV100 review by Laney

Laney: LV100

Purchased from: Camufa

You can find the full set of features on their site. Please note that the rating I give DOES take into account the price paid (in other words, a 10 signifies the best possible score for an amp or feature in that price range!) Basically its a 65 watt, "Tube Emulating Circuitry" amp with 2 channels (Clean and Drive). However, it also features 3 buttons; a "Bright" button for the Clean channel, the "V" scoop and the VTS Tone Shaping. Combined with the standard bass/mid/treble settings and 2 reverb knobs (1 for Clean and the other for Drive), these 3 features allow a great deal of customization for an entry level, higher wattage combo amp. Other features include an FX loop and headphone socket. It also comes with a Footswitch (FS2).

I play mostly metal (KsE, Trivium, August Burns Red, etc); however I also play Blues and Neo-Classical pieces. I use a Boss Metal Core pedal for distortion, and a Boss Noise Suppressor. My guitars have high output, humbucker pickups. The clean sound is beautiful. Combined with the "Bright" button, you can get all types of sounds from bluegrass, country type sounds to melodic, classical and symphonic sounds. The Drive setting is most definitely the weakest link on this amp. When the Gain is set to around 5 or 6, you can get a nice sound for blues or even classic rock. When turned up to 10, you can PERHAPS get away with an '80s metal sound (think old school Metallica). However, the distortion is very grainy, and does not give a "rich, full" distorted sound. My Ibanez TBX30R gives a much fuller, chunkier sound that you need when playing metal.

However, my Boss Metal Core pedal sounds absolutely brilliant when used on the amp's Clean setting! Because the amp has so much customization with its equalization settings (because of the aforementioned 3 buttons), it's perfect for any Metalhead who prefers to use a pedal over amp distortion. Reverb gives slight noise at around 5, and a very noticeable sound at 10. This, however, is normal for most amps (especially in this price range).

Hardware seem solid. The knobs aren't lose at all. I don't play live shows very often, just jam sessions with buddies. I see no reason for it to fall apart during a show or anything. In fact, Laney states that it was made for live shows. Finished in a stage worthy black tolex and front fret with tough protective corners. It's very sturdy, but not too heavy, which is great. It seems both reliable and durable. It does not seem like it would wear off with lots of playing. I strongly recommend it.

This is a perfect match for me. I tested several amps (Marshall, Roland, and a Randal) some of which were more expensive, and in my opinion, the Laney gave the best clean sound of them all. It's also extremely versatile for the price. I would most likely buy this amp again if stolen or lost. I see no reason not to, but ya never know what next year's economical, best bang-for-the-buck amp will come out. Again, the most disappointing feature is the built in distortion. It's a terrible choice if you're looking for a great built in distortion. This was not a problem for me, however, as i explained earlier. All you need is a solid distortion pedal to have the best of both worlds.