LX12 review by Laney

Laney: LX12

Purchased from: Guitar Collection

This amp is loud enough for home practise, I haven't tried it in jamming but I am not too hopeful it will be loud enough against drums. The clean channel is plain and sonically characterless. It does not colour anything. Therefore if you use good guitar it is going to sound like an expensive amp and vice versa. However I have noticed that the treble becomes more dominant if the volume level goes beyond 5... but it doesn't get clipped even at full volume. The distortion channel is same as clean channel; flat and doesn't colour the original tone. But the treble increases as volume increases. The distortion is relatively weak. it's good for playing classic rock which is one of my primary styles. I normally tweak from 5 to 8 to play classic rock. At 9 the distortion is quite good for playing modern hard rock solos adding sustain but at 10 it becomes noisy. However the noise doesn't overpower The Music itself and If you get good earthing the noise is reduced to an almost inaudible level. I have tried playing metal but it is not satisfactory. The equalizers really works but the change of tone isn't dramatic. I guess the equalizers, in this amp, is built for fine tuning not to change your tone to a great extent.

It is ok for any genres which are not high gain dependent. However you can use an external stomp box for that purpose. This guitar is good for testing how good a guitar is because it is flat and doesnt't't color your tone. So you wont be satisfied if you use a crappy guitar. I have been playing electric guitar since 2006 and acoustic since 2002. I have a Yamaha pacifica right now, it sounds ok with this amp. I also tried a PRS with this and it blew me off with thickness and warmth, again I tried an Cheap Indian guitar and it sounded disgusting. I think I will buy this again even if it was lost or stolen. I fancy for a tube amp but my neighbors are not sympathetic so I decide to buy a tonelab to play with this amp.

No wonder I can depend on it but considering a 10 watts amp to gig is a job for intellectually challenged person. This amp is kick and abuse proof. I dropped it from stair it survived, it dropped from my table, again it survived. The grill and the rubber act like amour plate. However the weakness I found is absence of a back cover where the speaker is protection less. The input and output jacks are solid and knobs are solid and firm too.

This amp was made in Chine in 2005. It is Twin channel 10 watts solid state Guitar amp with three equalizers (Low, Mid, High), gain and volume knobs. It comes Black metal corners, gloss metal grille, rubber feet and 1x6" custom speakers. It has one stereo output and one CD line in input. With the price it comes with I cannot expect any other additional features. I wished it had a reverb and a foot switch. However if those two were included the price couldn't have been same.

blobthedie
    oers_magyari
    blobthedie wrote: Good amp, but I'm starting to outgrow it now, and it's actualy really quiet at 2/10, I now play it at the 1 o'clock position. And I had so many typo's in that review. And you couldn't gig with it, when you turn it up to full it looses any tonal quality it had. I'm thinking about getting a marshall bass amp next, cos then I can have one amp for bass and guitar. Any advice on that front?
    I have a Fender Rumble 60, bass amp, but, it can`t handle the hights of the guitar, has nice bass, quite good middle, but, the high is suffering. It`s quite normal. I say, guitar amp for guitar, bass amp for bass. Or you could buy an amp from the "Peavey KB" family, it is good for keyboards, vocals, guitars..etc.