LX12 review by Laney

Laney: LX12

Price paid: € 60

Purchased from: Melodie Vorisek

You can create a lot of different sounds with this amp (though it has only 5 controls). I love clean channel - bright, straight, fresh, thin sound. By pressing Switch button, you'll get into Crunch channel. Crunch control is all you need to create Your sound. While Crunch on zero, sound gets bluesie/jazz drive. While between 3 - 8, sound gets rock'n'roll - rock - hard rock drive. By turning Crunch on 9 - 10, suddenly, you'll jump to metal drive. The amp is god damn sensitive while Crunch is on 10. Even little pressure on string makes scream. It's good for hammer on's and pull off's, feedback is almost instant. The amp is very loud. At home, I play it on Volume 3 and it's more than enough. On lower volumes, the sound is good, not great but good. On high volumes, it's horrible sound.

I play rock'n'roll/rock. The sound is very usable. As I said, great for home-training, very reliable, good sound on lower volume, easy to use, versatile. The Crunch is Laney-like - smoother, creamer... If you're fan of Laney sound and/or beginner + you need something for home-training, this isn't bad choice.

I have this amp 1,5 year. I've never had problems with it. The amp is very "tortured" by playing it loud, by feedbacks, by carrying it in car and it still plays good. In my opinion, if you're serious with guitar, it will hold on until you'll buy something stronger, something that will fit to you much more.

I'am not sure where my Laney LX12 was exactly made, but I guess it's from Taiwan. It's very small combo, it has 5 controls (Crunch, Bass, Middle, Treble and Volume + Switch between Crunch/Clean), inputs for headphones and Line-IN. 10 W of solid state sound is perfect for home-training. I used to play it with band too, but it was bad. I had to turn the volume on 9 and the sound becames crap - harsh, "unreadable" (you cannot hear tones you're playing, it's like one big bad tone), no punch... Big advantage is weight - about 3-5 kg. In this way is Laney LX12 very versatile.