LX12 review by Laney

Laney: LX12

Purchased from: Sutton Music Centre

On my Schecter Omen 6, this amp is just amazing and when put at 10, perfectly captures metal in it's purest form, when below 8 on volume. As I mentioned earlier, it sounds horrible when put above 8 even if you're playing clean. The main reason is because it moulds every single note you're playing into one big tone and by the end of it, you might aswell be playing white noise instead of that new metal tune you're trying to learn. Put the Amp on Crunch:5 with an Aria Strat copy, you get a great Classic Rock sound. I have no problem with the Crunch, Treble, Mid or Bass that make this amp such a good asset to a beginner guitarist, but the volume problems pull it's score down quite a bit.

Overall it's a very good starter amp and can live on with you for many a year without having a single breakdown. The crunch on it can perfectly re-enact any genre you attempt with it. However the volume lets you down a lot. I play it with either a Schecter Diamond Series Omen Extreme 6 or an Aria Strat copy with a Behringer UO100 (octaver pedal). If I had to give it any feature, a Delay would have been nice and possibly some reverb as well. If some guy stole this, I'd be annoyed with that guy, hunt him down get it back, then go out and get that Line 6 amp I've been having an eye for ever since I tried it in the shop along with the Schecter.

The best thing about this guitar, throughout the three years that I've had it, it's never broken on me. I've sat on it, kicked it and been close to dropping it, but It's still in perfect condition. Even if I can't depend on the Volume, I can depend on it never to break in the middle of a gig, if I had to gig with it in the first place. The amp has never broke down on me and I suspect I'll have to wait a few good more years til it has a single fault.

Basic but very versatile amp with Crunch, Treble, Mid and Bass, this amp forfils my needs to pretty much anything I play, from metal to classic rock to jazz improv, this thing really stands out from other practice amps. That said, it is purely a practice amp and not something you would use for a live show, because while the crunch may be solid, even on ten, this little amp sounds horrible when put above 8 on volume. Compared to my friends Marshall 15w amp that I have had a chance to use, I would have to say that even though I prefer the Laney for practice, the Marshall is a much better choice for gigging.

3OddOnes
    dammit i just realised i wrote guitar instead of amp on the Realiability section
    rv_phoenix
    cajun_prince wrote: pathfinder 15r.
    Vox Pathfinder 15 is light years ahead of this Laney. I'd mention only its 8" speaker (much better than Laney's 6" midget one) and its active tone pots, allowing a versatility this Laney may only dream of. On the other hand, I agree it's a huge step forward compared to a Behringer. Anything is!