LX120RH review by Laney

Laney: LX120RH

Purchased from: thomann

The guitars I use through this amp vary yet they all have humbuckers in. I use an Ibanez gax 30 with an EMG 81 pickup in the bridge, the amp really works well with the EMG. I also use an ltd 256 with humbuckrs and the amp works well with these pickups too, although the pickups aren't the best. It suits my musical style very well as it can handle high gain without comprimising a clear sound. The amps range of sound isn't the best considering there are no built in effects etc apart from reverb, which gives a good sound. I haven't experimented as much with the clean tone but I know that it won't be distorted at high volumes. The distortion (crunch!) is very good and works well with active pickups, I prefer to use the amps crunch setting than using distortion pedals. On the other hand I would definitely say that if your price range is higher you should opt against this choice as there are better quality amps out there.

It is a very good match for metal music, especially taking into consideration the price ( very fair ). I have been playing around ten years and have played a lot of amps. I certainly can't say that its the best I've played, that would be lying, but what I can say is that for the price range anyone would struggle to get something as good quality as this amp. I was 100% happy when I bought this product as I had hired one regularly before hand. If it were stolen or broke and I had a semi restricted price range I would deffinitely buy it again. I love the crunch on this amp so much and it is my favourite feature. I honestly cannot say I hate or even dislike anything about this amp apart from the fact that it doesn't sound as goood as some of the high end price range amps such as Diamond or Krank, but that is to be expected. I chose this amp because I was very used to it as I practiced with it weekly. Another point is that it looks beautiful! The only thing missing is a headphone socket, I wish it had one of those just for conveniance. All in all this amp is EXTREMELY good for the price range and would definitely suggest it to anyone, UNLESS you have a stupidly high price range which, lets face it, few people have. Thanks for taking the time to read my review, if there are any grammar mistakes I do apoligise and hope your feelings aren't Hurt by them, I hope my review helps in some way. cheers

This amp is built like a brick s*!t house with a kick proof metal grill to protect the speakers and solid wooden construction. I would and have played this amp without backup a countless number of times and it has done very well. It has never broken down orfailed to perform at any point.

It is a half stack with a 4x12 cab. This is amp is extremely versatile and does well for all the styles that I play, this is anything from clean warm tones all the way up to high gain metal tones. There is two channels on the amp, Drive and clean. Both sound excellent. There is also inputs in the front of the amp for fx send and return and also a channel switching foot pedal (a Laney channel switch pedal is available at around 15) I use this at home for casual use, the local practice rooms and also I play shows with it and it stands up very well for each application with the perfect amount of power.

Linkerman
    It's a Laney -- enough said. Great amps: they sound awesome, are reliable, affordable, and highly recommendable if you seek metal tones. In my opinion, the Laney LX range is way better then Line 6 Spider's and Marshall MG's... And the prices between models of the same wattage are identical; the only disadvantage is that Laney amps are hard to find in some countries.
    doive
    CleanCanvas
    doive wrote: It's a laney - that means neither pricey nor outstanding sounding. It's good value for it's price i guess, but it is a budget amp, quite why you would want a half-stack for a budget price is beyond me... Also 9 for everything? you say the reliability is fantastic and give it the same score as the sound which 'isn't as good as other amps out there'? also - why would you want a headphone jack in a 120w head?
    well if there was no headphone socket that would suck i wouldnt be able to play when my sisters downing her studying and i think his just rating it on the on how good it sounds for its priced which is justifiable
    Linkerman
    doive wrote: It's a laney - that means neither pricey nor outstanding sounding.
    Not outstanding sounding? All Laney amps i heard so far (this one included) have the best sound/tone possible in their "price"/"amp & speaker configuration" range. It's a question of taste? Yes. But for many (me included), Laneys are far better than Marshalls, Randalls, ENGLs, Mesas, etc.
    Presence? Tone? Headroom? I still wait for the day when some manufacturer creates a combo capable of delivering the same sound field a halfstack generates.
    He said there are better amps out there, but in a higher price range. Since this amp is great for the price, scores a 9. My Laney amp doesn't have a headphone jack and i don't miss it. But for some, it's very useful for silent practice. Why would you critique a review about something you apparently don't know? Learn from the review, don't bash it.
    syfg91
    how cud u question why i would want a half stack at a price range :S ? i have a budget as i am a student but i play a lot of shows and a half stack helps :S
    ShaneCallaghan
    I know its a it of an old review but would you recommend this stack? I have been infactuated with Laneys for a while now, I played one a while ago, it was smal practice amp and the tone was incredible. I've been dying to play a more up range version or proper stack from Laney, I've heard so many good things about them, I have heard the quality and sound but all thats stopping me from buying it at the moment is lack of funds. But I would purchase the dsp version, so is this, the head at least, worth the praise in its price range as I have heard so much about? And I know its a solid state and not a valve, which is another reason why I want one, as I have the sister studying issue aswel but the volume issue isn't my problem, it's the lack of quality sound at a lower volume whereas in many valves you have to be aking the neighbours who live 5 miles away to get that "Crunch".
    Fisheth24
    Going to get this amp tomorrow. Any difference between this and the camo finish? or is that it?
    Co-man-do
    ShaneCallaghan wrote: And I know its a solid state and not a valve, which is another reason why I want one,but the volume issue isn't my problem, it's the lack of quality sound at a lower volume whereas in many valves you have to be aking the neighbours who live 5 miles away to get that "Crunch".
    this is the part thats worrieying me. How much is the quality and volume effected by there not being any valves. please help
    mitch1908
    Hello there, I just thought I would ask about something. At Musos Corner (Newcastle music store) they have this amp, but its a special edition, the thing is is that that is the only version they have, they don't have the original plain one, with the special edition, im pretty sure its excactly the same except in camo colours, I was wondering if there is a way i can get the other version, in the newcastle, Australia area, at the same price or lower. Thankyou.
    Raptor195
    The camo version is actually the same amplifier. By the way, I own a Marshall MG100HFX. The sound is good, but for rythm. The fx arent that good, the reverb is nasty. I play lead, so this amp sucks for me. The laney features 120 w, 20 more than the marshall, the laney INCLUDES the speaker (at least at my local store) and is cheaper. The sound is better for lead! So yes, it IS better than solid state marshalls
    Smokahontas
    I use the LX120R head and LX412A cabinet and Boss ML2 (metal core) distortionpedal. I think the distortion (crunch) on the head is OK but i prefer a distpedal. one thing I hate is that the sound gets "bassy" when I go louder than 4-5 when I palm-mute, so I have to turn of the bas on the head and turn up the "low" on my pedal instead. but although its a really great amp for the price. sorry for the gramar settings head : treble: 7 mid: 5