LX20R Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 04/28/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Laney: LX20R
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
LX20R Reviewed by: oers_magyari, on april 28, 2009

Price paid: € 84

Purchased from: magazinuldemuzica.ro

Features: I don`t know the year this was made in, it`s not specified. The amp (solid state) is veristile enough, you can play anything from hard to soft, from metal to blues. It has a 3 band eq, a distortion setting and a reverb knob too. It has split channels, but there is no input for a foot Switch, so you would have to do the switching manually:| The amp does have line-in and a headphone out. If you like your sound natural without any fancy stuff, then this little amp will do the job. I use all the features, I play it clean, with a little reverb when on lead guitar, or crunchy when on rithm or backup guitar. Despite the small size of the speaker 8" it has a pretty good sound(quality and volume), in a 3m x 4m room, I pushed the volume up to 4 on the scale, and it was loud. I use this amp at home, and at band rehearsals. I suppose it would be ok to use this Laney at small giggs. // 9

Sound: I play the delta king by oscar schmidt, with two stock humbuckers, and it sounds nice. It ads a unique sound to the instrument.The amp does electrio-accoustic guitars too. I play blues-rock and it suit's my needs. It has a bit of noise to it, but, as I understand all of them do. Put side to side, my bass amp (Fender Rumble 60) this Laney is a bit noisy-er. As my settings go, I like to add a bit more bass on the eq then mids and hights, because the 8" speaker tends to forget the lower tones due to it`s size, with bass at 5 mids and hight at 4, with a little reverb (3) this Laney has a nice, clean sound, and as I said it before, there is something unique about the sound I get from it. When I want something special, I crunch it up (6), and turn the master at 5or6, with the reverb at the same place 3, and it has a bluesy-towards-rock sound. When turned up, it has a pretty good distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is well made, solid piece of work. Thank God, it has not broken down yet, I`m not shure about the electronics, but as I see it, it can survive quite alot(fizical abuse). Having a backup instrument, or gear can save you trouble. If you have the opportunity, you should always have something "back there". // 8

Overall Impression: It fit's my stile just perfect, for bluesy stile, it's just great. The distortion can serve as a helping hand in playing heavyer music, but for that you would need more volume, power, bigger speaker. I`we been playing the guitar for a while (7years) and I can say that this small and cheap amp, surprised me. The cheap things usually are... Well you know. But now, I'm shure, that Laney are top quality, perhaps later I will buy a bigger one. There is one thing I would liked it to have: a line out, for the ease recording. If lost or stolen, I would buy another one. This one was bought just because I wanted to try out Laney, because the stores in my region ran out of Vox amps. I'm not disappointed for choosing to try this-one out. In comparison to Vox, there are some tonal differences, we all know Vox, and the sound quality they have. Laney is no Vox, but in it`s way, Laney is unique to. // 9

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ Cub 12R 8.1 Guitar Amplifiers 03/22/2015