LX35D review by Laney

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Laney: LX35D

Purchased from: Furtados Music

I'm using a PRS SE Custom 22 with it. The pickups are stock. I play clean, rock, metal & shred stuff. The amp can handle these styles fairly but not extreme metal or heavy metal. It sounds bright to my ears. There is a noticeable white noise when not playing at medium volumes. With the gain maxed out, the amp gets noisy & feedback's the louder you turn it up. It's a fairly versatile amp. The built in effects are usable & not extremely bad. Although you can't expect them to match up to a separate stomp-box though. The clean sound is good, gets little muddy when the volume is high. The distortion is fine, not bad really. I find it alright for my purposes. With the XTS Switch engaged & gain at around 8 to 10, it gets heavier, without that Switch its more of a crunchy/mid gain kinda sound. I did find that while using the Line In inputs, there was noise/hum introduced, it was noticeable & harsh. The volume also had to be lowered greatly on the Line level signal inorder to make your guitar sound audible. This feature is something that i found most lacking on the amp.

For the styles I play & what I use it for. Its alright. I have had it for 2.5 years now. My last upgrade was a Laney GH50l(all-tube head). I wish I had the Laney Cub series or Prism series out at the time I got it. I wouldn't buy it again if it were lost, I would go for a small tube amp or a multi-fx unit like DigiTech RP500 or a POD. The favorite feature on this amp for me is the octave & reverb effects. I didn't compare it to anything while buying it, I was an amp noob back then. Overall for the price & the few years of service this amp has provided to me, I find it was a good purchase in the end.

Its dependable at home. You could gig with it but small clubs only. This is the second one, the first one had a crack in the wood area of the speaker enclosure due to transport & was sent back. It was also one of the 40th anniversary models, this one however isn't & I find that it sounds different from the previous one too. It hasn't broken down yet & I haven't used it for a gig either. So for the durability side, its a little weak I'd say.

Made in 2006 or 2007, but not a 40th anniversary model for sure. It has two channels with a shared EQ, foot-switchable. No effects loop. Headphone jack available. Built in effects are available, viz. Delay, Chorus, Rotary, Flange, Octave, Reverb, Reverb+Chorus & Delay+Chorus. A level knob is available for varying them. Also some effects have additional sub options for selection e.g. Delay has 4; Chorus, Reverb, Octave & Flange have 2, while the remaining ones only have 1. It has enough features for a simple SS practice amp. It has 30Watts output of Solid State power which is plenty enough for practicing alone. Other features include a CD/Line input, so you can play a backing track with it & have your guitar active at the same time too.