MXD65 review by Laney

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Laney: MXD65

I'm using an Ibanez GRG170DX of which I use the bridge pickup which is a humbucker.I also use a DigiTech Death Metal pedal. So it suits my music style quite well I mainly play metal and hard rock. When I krank up the gain level on the pedal too much I get overwhelming feed back but on the seetings I use with the pedal feed back isnt really a massive problem. The amp doesn't have a great varity of sounds whith out my pedal. The clean channel can get very slightly distorted at a high volume which isnt a bad thing. The distortion on this amp isnt great whith full crunch on it isn't brutal it's a very dull farty cow tone. It's ok whith pedals though.

I play metal and hardrock I'd say it suits me but there are amps out there that would do the job better. I've been playing around a year now and I use an Ibanez GRG170DX and a DigiTech Death Metal pedal. The main thing I love about this amp is the tone it produces with my pedal the thing I hate most? I would have to say the farty cow tone. If it was stolen I would hunt them down and eradicate them but if not. I would buy another amp that suits me more.

I've had the amp around 3 months now and I can say other then a crackly volum control I've never had a problem with it what so ever. I personally would trust this amp for giging however I hope to have a better amp by the time that comes.

I think the amp was made around 2003 however I'm not too sure. I like the amps sound though a DigiTech Death Metal pedal, however the distortion on the amp is a very dull dry sounding crunch. Not really great for anything I play. It has clean and crunch channels. It also has a headphone socket. It did come with a footswitch however it didn't work, but I use a pedal so I'm not too worried about that. It has a switch to control a multitude of effects, it has also has options for variations of the effects and a level control for them. It's a 65w amp so fairly loud I use it in my bed room on the quietest setting and my mum still moans. She still regrets buying me it now.

nathhan
    not sure but make sure youve try the all tube laney amps there really nice...
    maidenpriest69
    this is a solid state laney i think if you try out a laney amp try one out with tubes there awesome tony iommi and paul gilbert both use one, they call the tube amps like marshals on steroids
    qotsa1998
    stew91
    yeah i was waiting for a prick to make a rude comment for no good reason...cheers *****
    fagelamusgtr
    If you're looking for an amp the same size, but with better distortion, i suggest the kustom QUAD65 DFX.
    callum2903
    if you are buying a kustom amp, i would suggest only buying the keyboard amps which are amzing, and are the best abss amps i atchally have eva used, but for guitar i dont like it, but the thing with if you are using effects pedal, not the tones on the amp, your amp is reli just the speaker, and doesnt matter much i dont think, i hav a shit keyboard amp i play everthing though, it sounds terrible with nothing extra for guitar, but i use a line 6 pod for my pre amp insteed and just make use of its huge cheap skeaker as a cab, works awsome!
    callum2903
    qotsa1998 wrote: Mastodon also uses Laney tubes, which gives em some amazing sounds. I really wanna find someplace to try em out, id like to see how they sound. Musician's Friend sells em btw.
    musicains friends sells everything m8!!