MXD65 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 11/09/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Laney: MXD65
 6.1
 5.2
 1,524
review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
MXD65 Reviewed by: stew91, on november 09, 2007

Features: I think the amp was made around 2003 however I'm not too sure. I like the amps sound though a DigiTech Death Metal pedal, however the distortion on the amp is a very dull dry sounding crunch. Not really great for anything I play. It has clean and crunch channels. It also has a headphone socket. It did come with a footswitch however it didn't work, but I use a pedal so I'm not too worried about that. It has a switch to control a multitude of effects, it has also has options for variations of the effects and a level control for them. It's a 65w amp so fairly loud I use it in my bed room on the quietest setting and my mum still moans. She still regrets buying me it now. // 8

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez GRG170DX of which I use the bridge pickup which is a humbucker.I also use a DigiTech Death Metal pedal. So it suits my music style quite well I mainly play metal and hard rock. When I krank up the gain level on the pedal too much I get overwhelming feed back but on the seetings I use with the pedal feed back isnt really a massive problem. The amp doesn't have a great varity of sounds whith out my pedal. The clean channel can get very slightly distorted at a high volume which isnt a bad thing. The distortion on this amp isnt great whith full crunch on it isn't brutal it's a very dull farty cow tone. It's ok whith pedals though. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had the amp around 3 months now and I can say other then a crackly volum control I've never had a problem with it what so ever. I personally would trust this amp for giging however I hope to have a better amp by the time that comes. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal and hardrock I'd say it suits me but there are amps out there that would do the job better. I've been playing around a year now and I use an Ibanez GRG170DX and a DigiTech Death Metal pedal. The main thing I love about this amp is the tone it produces with my pedal the thing I hate most? I would have to say the farty cow tone. If it was stolen I would hunt them down and eradicate them but if not. I would buy another amp that suits me more. // 5

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ Cub 12R 8.1 Guitar Amplifiers 03/22/2015