TF200-II review by Laney

Laney: TF200-II

I'm Playing through a Smash S2 Strat, and generic pickups, it does what I want and its probably enough. I've Played it through my friend's BC Rich warlock as well.. Maybe the Wood or the pickups themself. The BC rich sounds a bit more "fizzy" to my ears. No its not noisy, infact I've experienced very little hum on this machine compared to my previous practice amps. (Marshall MG10 and a Starter Amp from smash.) This amp can take anything you throw at it. Metal to blues to country to maybe funk. As I've stated before this amp is very focused on its mids (at least on ch.1) and therefore may not suit everyone, but as always there's nothing a little tweaking can't fix.. It features a "BRIGHT" Switch on the clean setting, allowing you that chimey Vox feel. Yet there's a global Scoop Button for all channels, and a individual scoop button for both Drive channels. The scoop button is really neat, though I don't play much metal, just pressing it and cranking the gain to 2 o clock, its just metallica metallica metallica. Very versatile, amp. (as you can see, this probably is the bang in the crotch. It can take both scoop stuff and that britstyle tone you want, I maybe contradicting what I say now, but I can't tell you much on this, my contextual knowledge on Metal is like 1%, metallica and motorhead, probably thats it. ) Clean channel distorts? Maybe.. Mine's experiencing a little buzzing after 2 o clock (though I usually NEVER play that loud.) Distortion/high gain stuff is brutal on ch.2, I won't use it unless I need a lead boost of some sort. The OD settings on Ch.1 seems the best to me.

I play it through a DD400 (Yeah i'm on a budget) and thats probably the only pedal I used in this 4 years of playing, most of the distortions come from the amp itself. If it was stolen or lost, I would kill that jackass who stole it. If I lose it I probably would buy it back or consider moving up to all tube. (Laney Cub 12 maybe?) There's nothing to hate about this amp. It is what it is. I love the Bright Switch on clean, it just gives it a whole different feel to your playing. I've compared this to a Peavey bandit 112 and a Sound Drive 65w, I loved the peavey, It probably offers more tonal flexibility than this amp but I got this for cheap, so I can't complain. (230 vs 450SD/420PV) Overall I would recommend this amp to anyone who wants a upgrade from a practice amp. It sounds Killer to me compared to a weak 8" speaker.. Despite all the "Boos" about hybrids, if you can get one cheap, why not?

I had the amp for two months now, and I can say that its not giving me problems *fingers crossed* Rugged construction, I've knocked it against my apartment wall once and luckily no damage to it...

Hi pals, this is my review of the Laney Lv/TF 200, essentially the samething except it was assembled in china rather than UK. Do you know what year the amp was made in? Hmm If i'm not wrong this is after 2005, after the TF series was discontinued. I Generally Play Blues and Rock and maybe a tad bit of Metal once in awhile. 3 channels, CLEAN, Drive 1(Think british type tone voicing with raised mids), Drive 2(Think Scooped Sounding Channel) It takes what I play perfectly. From little wing to parisienne walkways easily. It comes with a Footswitch, EFX loops(Series) Headphone out and a Cab out. It features a Reverb, very nice sounding too(Well at least for thickening up the sound) and also has a 12" celestion super65 speaker. (This speaker lacks Bass IMO, the mids are very pronounced, if your looking for a British style amp this may suit your needs, but if you want something of the Higher gain stuff, the "low end" may not be tight enough.) Its a Hybrid amp.. SS power out, Tube Pre. 1 ECC38 Preamp tube (or 12ax7) to give you that tube warmth... (Maybe due to the low volumes I'm playing at, I never feel that produced on my part... sorry can't comment much here.)

MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: We have this amp at school and it's an OK amp but if you turn up the volume (as Vokial said) the sound is not so fat. It's loud but you can't hear it.
    Now I have turned the volume up to 5 or 7 and it plays pretty well. I like its distortion and clean. My favorite channel is the yellow drive. It could do something with some more watts so I don't have to turn it to 7 to get my guitar heard behind the drums and bass and another guitar. Its sound is good because it's not noisy like our school's Line 6 Spider 1 which sucks pretty much. I only like its clean and chorus. But TF200 doesn't get noisy even when you turn its volume up to 7. Line 6 gets noisy when the volume is on 3 or 4 so I pretty much hate it.
    MaggaraMarine
    It has also a "vibe" button but neither the manual nor the shopkeeper could explain me what exactly this button do.. by ear I can say that it changes a bit the tone to a more valve-amp one. By turning it off you'll get a more modern and solid-state like sound.
    It's there to make it sound "bigger" at low volume but I think it sucks. It just scoops the mids a bit and I don't like the sound. If you are playing at high volumes I recommend you not to use it.
    MaggaraMarine
    Ahh, now I'm spamming here again but did you know that the 65 watts they promise are only available with a 4 ohm speaker? And this amp has a 8 ohm speaker. So that means you can only use half of its watts, am I right? I hate it when they tell you how many watts it has with 4 ohm speaker to make it look bigger. And like Behringer does: They tell you the peak watts, not RMS. Why can't they be honest! They just want to make more money with bigger looking amp!
    Sparda93
    Sparda93
    MaggaraMarine wrote: Sparda93 wrote: I`ve got a TF200, and the sound is dull and sounds like the treble button has been chopped off, does this mean the amp is broken, or should i change the tube? The amp is very trebly, especially if you don't use the "vibe" switch (though I hate the sound when you use "vibe".) If that's the problem, just turn the treble almost all the way down. That's what I do when I use this amp at school. I think it sounds decent when playing with a band with higher volumes but the drive isn't the best I've heard. Clean channel is good though.
    Sorry mate, this amp is broken, i use it still, but i got a Metal Muff with top boost,which i have to use if i play with distortion, the amp is broken, going for a Bugera 333xl or Laney Ironheart when i have the chance.