TF300 review by Laney

Laney: TF300

Purchased from: Probyn's Music

I'm using an Ibanez SA320 something or other with humbuckers, a Zoom G2 FX pedal and a Crybaby wah pedal. These seem to work pretty well. The first overdrive channel does a hard overdrive sound that doesnt't sustain too well. I use this channel for straight up songs using just powerchords, as it doesnt't deal too well with speed. The second is basically a more distorted version of the first, and can be used for faster, more aggressive songs than the first, such as Velvet Revolver or AC/DC. Running on clean with an FX box in the FX loop can give you some great distortion, and it suits high-mid settings on distortion boxes.

Generally I play rock and metal songs. This is a great amp for that. The amp distortion takes care of all the rock tones, but you'll need an effects box or distortion pedal of some kind for metal. It takes all kinds of effects pretty well, no 'farting' at high volume, though the amp overdrive loses some of it's edge. I dunno if that's just the tubes, or what, hope this review helps!

I've had it for 6 months and nothing's gone wrong. I don't think I've blown any tubes, but this is my first tube amp, so I dunno, haven't had to replace the tubes, but I don't run it that hard on the amp distortion. My amp appears to have a Marshall footswitch. It works fine, but check it out in the store if you want one.

This is a proper rock 'n' roll amp. TF means TubeFusion, so it has a solid-state clean channel, and two tube drive channels. These are only switched with a footpedal, and the amp has LEDs that come on to show you which one is enabled. There is a reverb dial, and an effects loop. It can also drive a cab or speaker. The power rating says 200W, but it doesnt't seem that big. I dunno. All I know is that on 10 it's pretty loud.

Predator 182
    I have the Laney TF 400. I don't like it. Bought it when I didn't know so much about amps. Still don't
    GuitarBoy-IL
    I think TF300s are amazing, we have on of these at school, we also have a TF200. I think it's the TF300 is better, amazing tone!