TF300 review by Laney

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Laney: TF300

Price paid: A$ 700

Purchased from: Rajen music

The Gibson SG Standard really works well with the clean. I have the stock pickups. the 57' classics may work better. This is only noisy if you use crap cables, or if you have single coils or any other pickups that aren't shielded or whatever, but for me, it's fine. I wouldn't say the distortion is brutal, I'd say it's more "tinny and thin". the clean channel is distorted at high volumes if you strum hard. I play this at about volume 4 when were having band practices. Other than that, I keep it on 2 or 3 if I'm by myself. The footswitch plug at the back keeps stuffing up on me, it falls inside sometimes, which means I have to take apart the amp and fish it out, because the screws come off with the footswitch. I can just superglue that though. superglue is the solution to all of lifes problems. If my Gibson neck snapped off, I could just superglue it back together.

I play just rock, The vines, Strokes, The Subways, Oasis. it's a terrible match. I've been playing guitar for 4 years now, I've had this amp for 2 yrs. I play with a Gibson SG Standard, not an Epiphone, the proper Gibson one, so it's not the guitar that's bad, it's the amp. I will probably just buy an Ibanez tubescreamer to replace the bad distortion. Maybe next year I'll buy an Orange or a Vox or Fender Hotrod Deville. If it were stolen, I wouldn't care that much, it's their loss. I'd buy a different amp. I love the fact that it's loud and that's it. my fave feature is the clean tone. I hate the distortions. I prefer this to any Marshall AVT, because with marshalls, your paying for the name, and Marshalls don't make the same amps anymore like they used to. I wish it had a better distortion.

I can depend on it in a gig without any backup, I have done it before. Nothing bad has ever happened to this, except for the distortion sounding terrible. I haven't replaced the tube, I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but I shall find out. I'va had this amp for 2 years.

The only 2 things I like about this amp are it's loud and I like the clean channel. I absolutely hate the distortion channels on this, because they sound really tinny and weak. (more for metal). I bought this when I bought a Jackson js30, the worst decision I've ever made in my life, but, you Live and you learn. Now, I want to sell both my Laney and Jackson. I bought this 2 years ago, I was kinda into metal at the time, and was about to start a band, so I though I might aswell buy an amp. I didn't want an amp with fx, because I had a Boss ME-50 multi fx pedal, so that's why I didn't get a Marshall AVT. I think this kicks a Marshall AVT's ass though. I play just rock, e.g. The Vines, The Subways, Oasis, Kings Of Leon, The Strokes, and this amp doesn't suit any of those bands. So that's why I use the clean channel and plug in my ME-50. I think I might buy an overdrive pedal to use with the clean channel, that might give this amp some balls. There is no headphone jack, but Who needs one, no big amp is meant to be played with headphones, they deserve to be respected, and cranked loud. I did put this all the way up to max volume, but that wouldn't have been running at 120 watts, so if I did want 120 watts, I'd probably get a 2x12 cab, and connect it up. I never use the Drive reverb, because I never use the Drive, it really does suck. I have used this for gigs, and it holds well. I use it for band prac every sunday, and it's really good, I usually have it at no3 volume. I play this with my Gibson SG Standard, through my Boss ME-50. Some days if I crank it, I can smell a burning smell in the room, but that might be coming from the Behringer PA system, everything Behringer blows up, so I'm assuming it is the PA.

rob.harrison.10
    I have a TFX300 and loved it for awhile but now the volume is fading in and out. Any idea why this is happening and what can I do about it?
    MaggaraMarine
    The 'vibe' switch on this amp is pointless, I don't know what it does, but it sounds like you're punching holes in the speaker.
    Agree. It's meant to make your sound "bigger" at low volumes but it just sucks.
    boss134
    I have Laney TF700 - for about 100$. I cant belive i bought 120W amp for that cheap! i tried it with 200w 412 cab and it impressed me with distrotion (maybe beacause i have Bill Lawrence 500 xl humbucker in my strat). Now i search for good cheap 12"'s. Clean is good enough for me . Stange thing is that clean channel - it played better through 10" 50W 4ohm bass cab than 12" 65W 8ohm.
    Vinyljunkie72
    I have the TF400 and its a cracking gigging amp. I play rhytmn and sing and the bands other guitarist rocks a bluebird head and marshall 4x12 so it needs to have presance. If i need extra volume i use a custom 1x12 extension cab which the laney handles with ease. It's built like a tank and has been reliable as all hell. It's loud enough for small gigs and has a good steady D.I. Line out into the desk. If you want boogie sound, pay boogie money, and most of the subtle naunces that most people blather on about in their bedroom set ups get lost in a full band situation anyway. I swapped the speaker for a custom h|h 200w driver I had knocking about and it just shows off how good the amp actually is. I can only vouch for the tf400 12" single here, but most people I know who have one tend to keep em, but if you do find one that hasn't been abused its a helluva lot of amp for the money and a good solid gigging machine that has seen off a lot of other amps that I have bought. My gigging guitar is a '91 Washburn mg340 deluxe with alder body,twin humbuckers and a single coil,