TF800 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 09/15/2003 category: Guitar Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Laney: TF800
4 Channels; 4 Separate Volume; 3 3-Band EQ (Clean, Drive 1 & 2); 2 Vibe Switches; 2 Reverb Controls; FS4 Footswitch; (TF400) 1x12" HH Premier.
 8.2
 9.5
 6.9
 2,101
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
TF800 Reviewed by: rhysy_boi, on september 15, 2003

Purchased from: Northside Music

Features: The amp is brand new so I'm expecting it to of been made this year or last since I think it's a discontinued model. It has a range of sounds from blues to rock to punk to metal, it's all there. It has 4 channels, clean, crunch, drive 1 and 2 and all channels have reverb and there is a headphones jack in the back. Different channels sound like certain genres of music e.g. the crunch channel is classic for rick 'n' roll like AC/DC and the drive 1 channel is a blues/punk/metal channel and drive 2 is the same as drive 1 but you can change the enhance (compresion/contour) change the distortion and the volume so I'd only really use that if I were soloing. I don't really use the reverb but the few times I have it has sounded really good. I use this amp sometimes in my bedroom, you turn it down to 1 or 2 on volume and it's comfortable but if you play at a gig it has enough power easily. It is a tube amp with 120W RMS out of 4 Ohms. I'm pushing it through a Marshall JCM 1960A 300W quad box and I played an outdoor gig the other day and I didn't need to turn it past 6 even with the mixing desk we had cranked totally. It has 22 knobs and 7 buttons, I love all the knobs so much fun to play around with. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Squire Tom DeLonge with a single humbucker at the back. This amp and guitar suit punk super well but can also fit a few other styles easily. I don't get any feedback really unless I stand right in front of the speaker on drive 2 when it's cranked to bout 7. As I said before the variety of styles this amp can fit is astronomical! Blues, rock, punk, pop, metal it's all there! The clean channel unlike most amps i've ever tried is a lot higher volume than the distortions as in on 5 it will be alot louder than the drive 1 or 2 on 5. With the amp being tube it has a really really good distortion. Compressed or uncompressed it can go very dirty. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I only got the amp recently but i would use it at a gig without a backup. I think a couple of my footswitch lead are a little dodgy though because sometimes it flicks between clean and crunch while I'm playing but a couple clicks of the buttons fixs it. As I said I only got it recently so no problems yet and hopefully none ever. // 8

Overall Impression: I play punk, rock and a bit of blues and it fits these genres perfectly. I use a Tom DeLonge Squire Strat, a Vox Wah-Wah Pedal, a Danelectro floor tuner and Fender cables at the moment. Hopefully getting a wireless soon though, after i've payed off this amp. Ore like when I bought this amp I wish I had asked for the user manual too. If this amp was stolen I'd definitely buy it again it's such a good amp it surprises me with different sounds each day. Favourite feature would be the clean channel. It's so warm and such a great channel. I really like the two distortion channels too. The only thing i wish this amp had a channel that sounded like a Marshall TSL100 and an acoustic simulator but i can always buy a foot pedal for that and I can always buy a TSL head. // 10

Comments