TT50-112 review by Laney

Laney: TT50-112

I play an Epiphone SG G-400 with stock humbuckers through this amp. I play all sorts of music, from country to blues to modern metal and this amp does all fairly well. Similar voicing to high-end Marshall tube amps. If you're planning to play music commonly played with American-voiced amps like Peaveys and Mesa Boogies, this isn't really for you. It's high-end can get harsh and it's lows quite thin. If you dig old British classic rock and heavy metal a la AC/DC, Led Zep, Guns N Roses, Van Halen, early Metallica, Sabbath etc., this is for you. With a boost, you can hit modern metal. Without one, it'll sound a bit too loose and boomy. Its cleans are great, especially with the volume up high. No country twang, but definitely bright and jangly. It's a bit thick and a bit too warm for me, but that's probably just a sign that I need to get myself some single-coil guitars. Not a noisy amp at all, even with the gain all the way up. The reverb on this amp is very weak, but that's most likely a problem with the preamp tube (I haven't replaced any of them yet).

Guitar: Epiphone G-400. In the FX loop: Marshall RG-1 Regenerator modulation FX pedal. In front of the amp: Ibanez WD-7 wah > DigiTech Bad Monkey OD > EHX Black Russian Big Muff Pi fuzz. This amp suits me well right now for what I play. As long as I don't have a sudden urge to play death metal (which I probably never will), I think this amp is here to stay. My only major complaint about this amp is that it really is too bright to properly emulate sounds from popular American metalcore bands (if that's what you're into), but hey, if you find an amp which can nail both American and British-voiced music, I'm sold.

I bought this amp second-hand and at the time it's exterior was completely destroyed. It's front grill, even now, is ripped to bits. It's chrome front plate and corner protectors are rusting and the amp handle's leather has mostly eroded. That said, the amp itself works very well considering its age (10-20 years). The previous owner gigged a LOT with this amp, so I had to replace the tubes upon purchase. I haven't replaced the pots even though they're scratchy. It's fine with me. Ever since I bought this amp back in October 2009 it's had NO ISSUES whatsoever.

-Probably made in the 1990s. -50 watts -2 x EL34 power tubes, 6 x ECC83/12AX7 preamp tubes -Celestion Classic Lead 80 12" speaker -3 channels; clean, rhythm and lead. -Footswitch included -2 master volumes (footswitchable) -Footswitchable reverb -Separate volumes for each channel -Drive controls for channels 2 and 3 -Each channel has independent EQ controls -All channels have a BRIGHT switch -Channel 2 and 3 have a MODERN Switch for the extra gain and modern voicing -Channel 3 has an XPAND function (boosts the low end and overall increases harmonics) and BOOST Switch which increases the gain even more. -Tight/dampening switch -Mute switch -FX loop with mix control -Emulated line-out for direct recording (though the quality is still quite poor)or straight to a mixer. -External speakers can be connected. Evidently, a LOT of features and buttons. Very versatile amp, but is strictly British-voiced. Plenty of volume; too much for my apartment. You could probably bring this and play a medium-sized gig without PA. It is a very heavy amp but still relatively mobile. Sometimes I wish it had a 2x12" speaker configuration but then I realize how horrible that would be to carry around.

mcarol
    I have the TT50 head. Amazing amp, versatile tone. Three channels all perform equally well as you need them. All the boosters and filters lend a lot of tone adjustments to this amp. Unlimited adjustments for anything except the metal which I know nothing about. These things are low maintenance over ten years old not a bit of static from pots or any issues.
    mr pinch
    an awesome amp. with the modern switch engaged you can get a kind of modern metal sound or it does take well to distortion pedals. as you say though it is best for classic rock and shred ( was andy timmons favourite amp for a while ) believe me , the 2\12 laney's are bloody heavy !
    USCENDONE BENE
    had this amp for a few years and i do love it. i agree that it can get a bit much with the high end and at higher volumes it overpowers the bass a bit much for my tastes - but these things can be tweaked . if you want features and lots of them then this is the amp for you, i wouldn't go as far as saying its the jack of ALL trades but its easily the queen of most of them .
    themelodicdeathshow
    You said you didnt replace any of the tubes then you said you did? Im assuming you only replaced the power tubes not the preamp
    HellBoy9393
    I forgot to mention that my TT50-112 is the older, discontinued version. The version you see in the display picture is the newer version. It's exactly the same amp; the difference is aesthetic.
    ctgblue
    I had the newer version. It was probably one of the "nicest" combos I've ever had. I sold it looking for a 'more extreme' tone, only to find out the next day that I had my output on my wirelesss rig cut down below 1/2 way. I'm sure If I'd have had it turned back up, it would not have been lacking in gain, because it was 'almost there'. Built like a tank, super 'tweakable', and great tones.
    David Dollar
    I like mine, but it just seems a little tame. It has a really smooth tone to me. I wish it would get a little nastier. I can only come clost to the tone I want if I really crank it. Any suggestions?