VC15-110 review by Laney

Laney: VC15-110

Purchased from: Rocking Rooster Music

First things first, this a VERY bright amp. When I first got it I dialled in my favourite tone and it hurt, really. However this is no set-back after a few minutes EQ'ing and I had good blues and rock tones within 15 minutes. Clean, I didn't like the way the clean broke up so fast. You would probably not be able to get a good clean over drums. However, for home practice you can get a very nice tone, warm and responsive. I tend to leave the clean volume on 5 and adjust the overdrive with the guitar volume knob. Distortion/Overdrive, this is more like it! Think Orange. Smooth blues tones all the way up to modern rock sounds. The overdrive is orgasmic compared to my old solid state. I tend to leave the Drive volume around 4 for a great overdrive tone. I adjust the gain to preference (usually 4 for blues rhythm, 7 for blues lead and 10 for rock). This could definitely be used in a small Live situation and for jamming with friends. However you will not get heavy rock tones with this amp, but for my style it is no set-back. Reverb, I think the built-in reverb is great. It makes a great change from my boring solid-state distortion I used to have. I add a touch for rock and clean, and I turn it up some for blues. Currently I am using a mahogany super strat (Ibanez SA120) with DiMarzio Evos straight into the amp. I give this an 8 because of the clean break-up but if you want it for overdrive only I give it a 9.

I think this amp is great for the price, and I have been converted to a tube-lover. If it was stolen I would probably buy an Orange or another of these, depending on my budget. I think this is a great amp and I would recommend it to classic rock/blues players.

The amp seems solidily built. Considering the size I was expecting a heavier amp but it is very light to me which is a positive. I would use this in a gig without a back-up as I do not have a back-up (although I probably would otherwise, just in case. I don't doubt the amp but it's better to be safe). I reckon this amp will last years if treated with respect ie. not thrown down stairs. I give this a 9 because I have not had it long enough to give it a 10 but it seems very tough.

New for 2005, and the only amp on the market to employ 'The Dark Art'. The VC15-110 is the new baby of the VC range. Built on the distinguished heritage of the VC30, the VC15 delivers great tone. 15 watts of amazingly warm or classic bluesy lead tone powered by matched EL84's and cranked out through its internal 10" speaker. If 10" ain't enough for you, there are two dedicated extension cabinets, the GS112VE and the GS210VE.