VC15-110 review by Laney

Laney: VC15-110

Purchased from: www.Guitar.co.uk

I'm using the VC15 with an Ibanez RG which has Seymour Duncans in. Not the best choice of guitar for my playing style but I'm planning to upgrade to either a Gibson Les Paul or a Fender Stratocaster. It suits my playing style perfectly; Blues, classic rock and hard rock. Although, It doesn't get into hard rock very well without cranking it and I mainly play late at might after work so this isn't usually possible; I have bought a Fulltone OCD to compensate for this. The amp is fairy quiet with humbuckers but there is a bit of a hum with single coils, this is the case with most amps. It does get a bit noisy when you crank the Drive channel but not noisy enough to warrant buying a noise gate. The amp has warm bright cleans but with the tone knob and the bright Switch off you can make it fairly dull sound as well. It also has reverb which is always a nice touch to cleans. In my opinion is could pull off most genres with the right EQing but would defiantly need an OD pedal to get into hard rock/ metal. On the clean channel it starts to break up at around 8/9 and gets slightly distorted. The Drive channel is more of a classic rock type distortion, it doesn't get very brutal without the presence of an OD pedal.

My overall impression that it is a great sounding valve amp for the money if you Live in the UK. Apparently Laney amps get expensive over in America. I play blues/classic rock/hard rock and it is almost like this amp was made for me. When my Fulltone OCD gets delivered it will be perfect. I have been playing for 6 years and I left it until recently to buy a valve amp. I was amazed at how much better it sounded than my Peavey Transtube amp. I use an Ibanez RG through this amp, not the ebst match but as I said earlier I plan to upgrade. I also use a Vox V847 wah pedal and an Electro Harmonix small Clone; defiantly a good match. Soon I will also be using it with a Fulltone OCD and an MXR 10 band EQ. If it were lost/stolen I probably would buy another one as I just love it. I love the variety of tones I can get from this amp, I seem to find a new sound each day. I don't hate anything about this amp. The shared EQ is a bit annoying at times but that can be sorted out with an EQ pedal. I compared this to an LC15 but I decided this amp would be better for the style of music I play. As I said before, I wish it had a separate EQ for each channel.

I can depend on this amp, it seems solid and well made. I wouldn't use it at a gig without a backup in case the valves decided to blow. But, if I didn't have a backup, I wouldn't be too worried. It has never broke down as I got it October 2007 and it is now December 2007 but I take care of my guitar gear so it shouldn't break down. I seem to keep hearing Laney owners say their amp has broken down on the forums but I've never seen anyone say their VC15 has broken.

The Laney VC15-110 is a fifteen watt all valve electric guitar amplifier with a ten inch speaker. Laney doesn't give you anyway of telling you when their amps were made (that I know of). The serial number on mine is LXA1271 which doesn't seem to give me any clues as to when it was made. The Laney VC15/30's are very versatile amps. They have amazing cleans, and the overdrive is usable but could be better. I've found that if you EQ it right it can do most styles; although it needs pushing quite a lot with an overdrive pedal to get into the high gain metal area. It has 2 channels with a shared EQ, It has an 8-16ohm external speaker jack which cuts out the internal speaker; I believe the VC30 has a 4-8 ohm speaker jack. It has an effects loop which seems fairly good. The channels and reverb can be switched using the Laney FS2 footswitch. Two improvements that could be made to this amp are, separate EQs and reverb for each channel. Which isn't a major problem as an EQ pedal can compensate for the shared EQ. I use this amp for home practice and for small gigs. Mic'd up, this amp is just about powerful enough for small/medium gigs. One thing I will say is that the 10" speaker can sound 'small' and I'm planning to buy a 2x12" cabinet for it. It has 3 x 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 x EL84 power amp tubes and runs in class a/b.