VC30-112 review by Laney

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Laney: VC30-112

Purchased from: Back Alley Music

Using it with my SS jag primarily, it suits pretty much everything I want to play. Blues, Funk anything else I can think of. There is some slight background humm, but it's to be expected, especially in my gadget filled envirnment that is my bedroom. Clean, it's thick and sweet, smooth, really gives you that AC30 sound with a bit more oomph, some playing about with the EQ you realise it can really accomplish alot. Activate the bright Switch and you start hearing that shimmery Fender clean-esque tone Shine through, with this you can pretty much hit the hammer on the head of say Razorlight. Anything from the Chilis too Clapton is possible with this. The bright Switch is a really nice extra touch. You get a good fair bit of hadroom, there's no obvious break up till about 2 o' clock on the dail. Trust me, that's plenty. Distorted there's a nice thick satisfying crunch about it. Very Vintage, very warm, very british. It's quite a rough fuzzy distortion, which is what makes it good for blues, turning up the Drive it gets into the hair metal territory, but it sounds it's best on lower gain settings, there isn't really much Drive untill about 11 o clock on the gain knob, so you can't expect huge amounts of distortion, in my opinion this thing would work great being pushed by an OD. But as for metal, it doesn't really have the voicing. If you're a metalhead, look elsewhere. There's two things which I wouldn't miss though, the trebelyness. It is a warm amp, by all means, but it can get harsh, especially with my jag, not just limited to that though, I've tried it with all sorts in store, you need to spend some time understanding the EQ, it can get ubeliable harsh, especially distorted. Personally, I think the best thing you can do for this amp is buy a new speaker, another flaw. Very poor celestion speaker is used in this model, and the 212, the 210 and 110 have jensens, which in all fairness, still aren't a huge imrpovement. The speaker is harsh and brittle, it would really benefit from a new speaker.

Overall probably the best 300 will get you. And even then, it is superb. I've played a number of amps, it didn't stick out to me, but for the money, the versatility and the sound, I couldn't say no. If it were lost, I would probably get another one. Maybe the VC15 though, the 30 is retty god damn loud just for using in my room. I love this amp and reccomend it to anyone on a budget that wants some true Class A british warmth. Of course there are minor setbacks. But hopefully nothing a speaker/valve upgrade wont sort.

I've never had a problem with it, I've only had mine for a number of months, so I'm biased, but I've heard horror stories. A few occasions where the amp has totally broken down, hopefully this wont be the same here, but I wont review this part as I haven't had it long enough or gigged it or such to be sure.

2 Channels (FW), effects loop, reverb (FW), bright Switch, class A valve, 30 watts, 1 12 inch celestion speaker. It's realtively new, but it was an off the floor amp, I would've tried to get it for cheaper, but my dad came home and suprised me with it. Extremely versatile amp, EQs like a dream, I'm a complete whore for tweaking it. Does most things I want it to; too easily. Blues, jazz, Indie, Classic Rock, Light Metal, gain isn't up too much, that's not what it's made for, I'm looking for an OD just to push it a bit harder atm. But it's great for the money, and it really is a blues amp. Feature wise there isn't much more I could ask for. I was originally planning on gigging this thing before my band fell apart. Anyone with basic amp knowledge will tell you that 30 watts valve is enough to deafen your entire street. So I don't get much of a chance to crank it to its full potential.

Kikuta
    You boned the review by giving it a 1 for reliability. If you're unsure, average out the scores you've given for the rest of the categories (ie, an 8). This amp DESERVES the 8. They're something special indeed.
    spongebong08
    Ever amp comes with problems. Theres "horror stories" and tales with all of them. And most of the time they never happen.
    beckyjc
    It's happened to quite a number of folk in the Laney thread, otherwise i would've just ignored it. I know I should've avergaed it out on reliability, but I didn't realise till after I submitted it's too late now. People should just read the review anyway.
    plankermaxx
    Great amp, great value and mine is currently out of order. If people are interested in it theyll read it dont worry
    Pete24v
    I've had many Laneys all have been great amps and very reliable. I 've had 2 VC30's one with 2x10 jensen and the other had 2x12 celestions. Both speakers were pretty poor i thought so i put in some Fane Alnicos which really opened up the sound of the amp. The other guitarist in my band has the 2x12 with a celestion G12h and a celestion gold which is a very nice combination.