VC30-112 review by Laney

Laney: VC30-112

Purchased from: Imuso

Laney lied, as this amp is not class A, but class A/B. Cleans sound very voxy, and can get close to an americany Fender sound by going easy on the mids, and using the bright Switch. The Drive at low volumes (drive: 10, volume: 1) is really thin, with a sort of fuzzy quality to it. It sounds great turned up though, and is also rather Voxy too. I don't make use of the bright Switch anymore, as I prefer Marshally OD to Vox OD. I set the Drive to 5ish, maybe more, with volume as loud as I can go, then roll back the guitar's volume for cleans. I turn it up when I want OD, and for solos, I use my LPB-1 as a gain boost. I set my EQ at bass: 6 mids: 8 and treble: 3.5, and it stays that way. I play heaps of RHCP, and I nail John Frusciante's clean/slightly OD'd tone. Both the cleans and the OD are immense. The amp is quite bright and middy, and is most definitely British.

I play classic rock, modern rock, alternative rock, blues, funk, funk rock, that kinda stuff. This amp is really versatile, and sounds great for such a low price. The valves are fine, though the speaker could be replaced. IMO, even stock, I'd take it over any other amp around the price range. I've heard other owners of the amp complaining about reliability, but I've not had any problems yet. Tonewise, it is a tremendous amp that is capable of any music genre you throw at it, though it'll need a boost to get to higher gain stuff. If it were stolen/lost, I'd hunt down the guy Who stole it, cry for weeks on end if I failed to retrieve it, then buy a new one.

Built like a tank, and looks as though it could survive falling down the stairs. I'm pretty sure I could use it on a gig without backup. So far, I've not had any issues with this amp as reliability is concerned, so I can't say much here. However, I've heard of many other people having problems with their Laney's. People Who have owned the amp for less than I have.

I've owned this amp for 5ish months now, and I gigged with it three times so far. This amp gets a 10 for features, as it's amazing what you can do with only a 3 band EQ. It has two channels (clean and Drive), clean volume, drive, drive volume, bass, middle, treble, bright on/off, reverb, and FX level. I don't make use of the FX level, as I run my pedals in front of my amp. The valves that came with it seem to be pretty good, so there's no need to replace them now. The speaker is probably the only letdown with this amp, though it can be replaced.