VH100R review by Laney

Laney: VH100R

Price paid: A$ 2000

Purchased from: Davis Music Center

I use a ESP LTD F-2005 with active pickups (EMGs). I want to look at a PRS in the future tho. The clean channel (due to my EMGs) is quite twangy and bright, but on the neck pickup it sounds lovely. I don't much for the brightening Switch as I tend to get annoyed by more treble in a clean sound. (I like my mids) The crispy clean channel is ok... by that I mean I think I need to fiddle with this more (and with a less high gain guitar) to get it right. The overdrive channel is great. You can sooooo many sounds and tones depending on your settings for crunch, to a gentle fuzz, to a thick old school rock tone. The reverb channel offers a slight diversity but you'd be beter off sticking with an external effect, for more dynamic presence.

Pure, effortless, awesome, even tho this is a trebly amp and some may claim it doesn't have the big sound like a recitfier or a Marshall, by cripes it packs a punch. Flick on the resonance Switch and feel the room pulsate. I usually play Opeth style, but even when I feel like a bit iced earth or Metallica, I can still achieve ballsy scooped sound from the Laney. But... mids are sexy.

As far as lead work is concerned, the signal is clear (so long as you don't have ridiculous amounts of gain) - I use 8 on gain, 6 on o/drive. You can tell why Opeth use laneys, the clarity and warmth you can get from either channel (especially clean)is face-meltingly worthy. I give it 9/10 simply because I'm still unsure about the crispy clean setting. pure clean/gain channel gets 10/10.

One of the best amps I've ever played. My friend Who I'm jamming with has 3 amps, a Dual Rectifier, a 5150 and a 300w Crate. When he had a play on mine, he thought it was friggin amazing the range of sounds and punch it had, depsite it's physical size being dwarfed by the mountain of amps he has. I have no regrets, ok one, that I haven't been able to take it out from home and put it on stage and let her rip. If someone ever broke it (unlikely) or stole it, I would hunt them down, make them get a lass pregnant, let him have the kid, bond and cherish the kid, then I would eat the kid, with syrup. Extreme happiness, and I even got it for $1500 AUD cheaper (with the cabinet) then I should've payed. Brilliant amp.

One of the reasons I went for these amps was I heard how sturdy these amps were. A robust no bs construction, and I've yet to have any worries or concerns. I have only had the amp 5 months, and it was brand spankin new when I got it, I also have yet to test it on a gig, but the sound stayed lovely and warm (and menancing) when I've recorded all day at home. transport is easy too because the unit itself, together with a Laney 3/4 quad box isn't all that large. I can easily get it in and out of my car and the head also has nice grab handles on top so you can just lift it up no hassles.

This model was the 40th anneversiary edition. I've only had it 5 months, and was the first person to play it out of the box. I chose this over the GH100L because of the second independent channel for a flexible range of sounds. I play prog rock, old rock and metal (all genres) but wanted to get an amp that was cheap(er) but still kickass. I has 2 channels, clean and overdrive. The footswitch that comes with the amp is great, it's this sturdy rectangular no bs stomp box. One clean/crunch, one reverb, one channel Switch and one high gain Switch. I'm yet to try the effects loop on it as I only have a wah pedal to use. I use this amp for home playing/recording but got it for future gigging. it's loud as anything so I never take it past 3 at home. Another sweet feature is the resonance Switch which delivers a thick low end presence to the sound.

flö