VH100R review by Laney

Laney: VH100R

Purchased from: Ebay

I use 7 string schecters with Bare Knuckle Pickups and play progressive metal so I go through a variety of playing styles. The amp does most of these pretty well. After using this amp for a couple of years I finally figured out that the key to getting a good sound out of it is volume and use of the correct input jack. I used think this amp couldn't do a good metal tone but I am able to get a really good distortion through the low input and with the volume at 12:00, gain at 12:30 and Drive at around 2:30. I need to push the volume because I'm running a 480 watt cab but I also think a lot of this amp's tone lives in the power tubes so you need to push them to get a really heavy sound. Otherwise, I feel the tone is a bit lacking when the volume is rolled back. Through the low input you can push the clean channel a bit too. Sounds really good at around 10:00 or a little higher. The clean Drive Switch and the overdrive channel without the Drive on are nice for your inbetween overdrive sounds. Though, of the two, I prefer the OD channel while controlling it with my guitar volume knob. The amp's not perfect. I do use a MXR EQ in the loop with the highest highs and upper mids cut slightly and a boost to the lower mids. This really helps warm things up but doesn't interfere with clarity. I use a tube screamer in front for solos as well. My distortion settings are ok for certain solos or licks but the pedal sounds great when I really need to cut and get that round, liquid sounding attack.

Overall it's a decent amp but so many factors involved in tone it's hard to know which element to change to make it perfect. I've been playing 16 years and have a few other amps including a Mesa and a budget B52 tube amp. The Laney sounds the best now that I've figured out what it needs. I do wish it had a half power Switch so I could get my nice sound a lower volumes. Sound guys at gigs always want to turn you down so power tube saturation at lower levels is ideal.

So far it has been very reliable. The only problem I had with it was that a fuse blew right before my band was about to play once. That was a power problem on the stage though...

Mine is one of the older ones with the leather strap handles. Newer ones look cooler but probably sound the same so whatever. I use it in rehearsals with my band and live. It's very loud and operates best at high volume. My bass player has a 1200 watt Ampeg rig (solid state) and the Laney is still louder. I just wish the resonance feature was adjustable because it can be too much sometimes. A half power Switch would be very cool too.

LindeII
    fl wrote: HFR wrote: This is the Amp Linde from Him Uses ^.^ no, he uses the TT100H
    Actuaally, no. He use a VH100R. 2 of them actually.