Flextone review by Line 6

Line 6: Flextone

Purchased from: ebay

I'm playing on an Agile interceptor 7 (before they made them with EMG's), and a 1976 Aria Les paul styled (lawsuit era) Custom with the original neck pikup and a duncan super distortion. My Aria screams with it. The Agile isn't as hot, but still sounds good. I play more on metal-tinged music, as well as electronic/ambient/industrial. This amp definitely works for the metal. Like I said before, I was very surprised with how this amp sounded in the shop. I got the same one on ebay for 220 (much better than $300). The cleans really sparkle, and appears to be the general consensus with alot of the Line 6 amps. It's also really really quiet on the high-gain channels. The noise gate shuts out most unwanted noise. The distortion is pretty tweakable, and I've found a decent distortion on the "Rectified" setting I haven't played a mesa, but I know that generally it's your go-to-metal amp (and of course the other side, the JCM's). But playing along to a few songs by bands Who use mesa (king's x(dogman era), Chevelle, Korn, Dream Theater)it does a good job at putting you in the ballpark. I haven't really turned this amp all the way, but at about 75% it's definitely loud, I've never gigged with it, and couldn't tell you if it's got headroom or not. But for the bedroom, and recording direct, it sounds pretty good to me.

So this is definitely a pretty decent amp. I'm not gonna say that it's the best amp ever, and I don't believe anything deserves a 10, because odds are, the tone hungry guitarist, even if satisfied, it's only temporary, and will probably over the years be on the prowl for another sound. This amp at least is a jack in the box of entertaining sounds that you can dial up and see what you like. I'll probably hang on to this one for a while, though I do plan on continuing looking on getting others. For the price and sound, you really can't beat it, (I'm sure the newer flextone kicks the pants off of this one), but if you see one at a store in in an old dusty garage, give it a shot, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Don't be a tube snob, I'm sure you can't play your 100watt jcm or mesa or (insert tube amp) in your bedroom. Try this one.

I couldn't tell you if it's dependable, as I've not been put in a situation where I needed to depend on it. It seems like it's built like a tank, and could withstand some abuse. I don't think it would be wise to use without a backup, but I daresay it's probably more reliable than a tube considering a solid state doesn't blow tubes.

I'm not sure what year it came out, I'm guessing around 1999. This amp was quite the surprise, I had walked into a pawn shop, and played one (priced at $300), and thinking "oh this is Line 6, it'll probably suck." sat down and played it. I was quite surprised, it had alot of bang for the buck. it has I believe 15 or 16 amp models. That span from the Fender tweeds, to the Marshall, mesa, and Soldano emulations. The effects weren't too bad either. Echo was pretty tweakable for me, the chorus and flanger also were fairly tweakeable. I still haven't really used them all yet, but I at least have the ability to. It's a solid state (I'm not getting into the "Tube vs solid state war, because honestly I don't care). 60 watts, more than loud enough for the average bedroom playing guitar player. It'd be nice if the footswitch came with it, because the fb4 or even the old floor board is really hard to find.

EpiExplorer
    Many better priced amps out there. But second hand, couldnt really go wrong with this. Fender sell well too, Fm212 fer christmas \m/,
    KnownUnknown
    No offense my man but do not ever recommend someone a fender frontman, those are worse than mg's (which aren't ALL that bad really.)
    itstheman
    celticstorm84
    itstheman : I really sat down with this amp, for two and a half hours, and played all of the presets, made a couple of my own, and it really was a chore to dial in a decent tone. All of the higher gain presets are nasally and uninviting, the lower gain ones lack dynamic range, and cleans are medicore at best. To no one's surprise, this solid state tube amp lacks that smooth, warm and inviting overdrive and higher gain tones you could get out of an all tube fender or marshall. So please don't talk like this amp is an end-it-all for sought after tones. However, for the money it's probably the best thing you could get, and I'd recommend it for beginners with a heavy mindset.
    lol...no amp is an end it all, choices are nice. I tried one of these and I thought it was pretty good. I felt these and Vettas are the best Line 6 makes.
    The^Unforgiven
    mooncow67
    The^Unforgiven wrote: "I'm sure you can't play your 100watt jcm or mesa or (insert tube amp) in your bedroom." I used to play my 100-watt Peavey tube combo in my bedroom at well over halfway of the volume, often even at full volume, and I LOVED it
    ProgFolk12
    You can play our 100 watt JCM or mesa in your bedroom, that's what teh volume knob is for. And contrary to popular belief, it wont sound bad, maybe not as good as cranked, but good none the less. Anyway, nice review, thorough job. Fletone's are damn good amps for the price
    ChrixtianB
    thar must be badass!!!!! i wish i could do that!!
    TriviumFan717
    If you have a lot of head most of the time you'll need to crank it to get some great tone out of it. I have a mesa triple rec. and it doesn't sound as good as it does in high volumes when its at low volumes (unless you boost it).
    mallen i am
    mooncow67 wrote: you must have everything bolted down, I play my 120W Spider III (commence flaming now) at half volume and things fly off the walls
    This is more than true.
    3dd_bggst_fan
    i have a 75w spider. its a great buy. i trust line 6 for anything. anything under that name will be worth your money