Flextone III Plus review by Line 6

Line 6: Flextone III Plus

Purchased from: Craigslist

I play my ESP/LTD M-50 with EMG 81 and 85 pickups. Most people would say active pups with a SS has no purpose. But, Line 6 has done such an amazing job on tube emulation on this amp, I swear I'm playing a tube amp.it reacts just like tubes would to my EMG's. And it really cleans up when you roll back the guitar volume.I have yet to hear any nasty clipping from this amp. From the look of that amp, you can already tell it was made to model Vintage amplifiers, and it covers everything from tweeds, to plexies, to even a Gibson explorer! But it gets more modern with its Mesa Dual Recto models, and the Soldano and Bogner isnt too far behind. Only thing I have to complain about the high gain amp models is that I couldnt get a tight bass sound. But this was quickly solved with my OD pedal. Oh and btw, it takes pedals pretty well too! Oh and the cab selector is an amazing feature, it lets you run the modeled head of the halfstack through another heads cab. I'm currently running a Mesa Dual Recto through a Tweed Cab and it sounds killer.

It covers all the styles I play, and I really think SS amps don't get any better. I've been playing for 2 years and played through a lot of amps. It will take some different eq'ing tecniques than other amps, but great once you figure it out. My signal chain is M-50->dunlop dimebag wah->MXR ZW OD-> amp. Not much static is created but when I crank the gain, the all handy noise gate is there. I would definatly look for another had this been stolen, but I'll never find it for the same price. Only real complaint is the quality of the sound through the line out. With you normal settings, it will sound liek crap, but you can Taylor sounds just for the line out to sound good.

I would not need a backup if I were to play a gig with this amp. The original speaker (celestion custom 30) was replaced with a WGS v30 knockoff (which I like better anyway). The amp has been working in top condition and the guy I bought it from was a music producer for commercials and this was his main amp, and he bought it second hand so its been throguh some stuff.

Made around 2004. I play everything from blues, jazz, shred, metal, and even some country riffing when the mood strikes, thrown in with a little classic rock...this amp takes it all. 4 channels with the availability of a footswitch, and even more channels if you buy the interface footswitch. It has a stereo effects loop, a line out for recording or headphones, 12" speaker, and I think 20 different effects? Has to be close to that. I use this amp for home practice, jamming with a drummer (no problem at all) the 75 watts is perfect.

EspTro
    trollhck wrote: Is it like a tube-amp, so you gotta play pretty loud to sound good?
    well in my experience, it sounds mushy at low volumes, but you can still get good tones failry low, just not too quiet
    EspTro
    the amp's tone definatley opens up after turning the volume up. ive had a bunch of times where i had a great tone while jamming with a drummer, but when i turn it down later to practice at home, the tone transforms.