Flextone III XL review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Line 6: Flextone III XL

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Second Hand

Here the amp fails the most for me. At low volumes it all sounds great but even at 50% of the master volume it all gets muddy (clean and in overdrive). It's 150 watt and meant to be loud, but I never played it that loud because it sounds really bad. It also is a bit noisy but it has a built in noise suppressor that works well. You can get clean tones and high gain, crunch is very hard to get. The only really nice thing it does good is the stereo, really nice for delays etc.

I play the guitar for over 4 years now. I play mainly rock and post metal so from full gain to cleans with lots of reverb. For practicing alone at home this amp works well but who would want 150 watts for that? People claim that the Flextone is better than the spider series, well this is true but not by that much. It is built like a tank but the software still fails from time to time. I sold this amp because I needed the cash and in the end I didn't liked it that much. Btw I did NOT compare any of the sound to a tube amp because I know that is not fair!

When you compare it with a spider it is built very well, the only major downside is that it is still software so ready to fail at any moment! I had some issues with the gain, while playing it suddenly drops from like 8 gain to 4 without touching any of the knobs. I would not use the amp for gigging, like a said it can fail ya and at loud volumes it doesn't perform very well.

150watt modeling is loud no doubt there, it has a FX loop, speaker outputs and direct XLR out (which never used) and a headphone jack. This amp comes with a lot of features, too many if you ask me. It has 32 amp models and 32 cab models, you can combine every amp model with every cab model. So if you do the math... 1024 different possibilities. That's a lot, the only major downside is that 95% of them sound like cr*p. Then you have some effects like tremolo, reverb, phaser, flanger, delay etc. Nice? Yes and no, example; you only have on knob for each effect so if you use a tremolo, the further you turn the knob how faster it goes AND turns up the mix at the same time. So if you'd want a slow tremolo with the mix at 10 you're scr*wed. I bought mine with the FBV Express footboard, this I liked. The only downside is that there is a very small delay when you switch between channels, not noticeable when going from full gain to clean but I used it from full gain with no reverb to full gain with reverb, so it was noticeable then. So I give this a 7 because some people think a billion features is a good thing but I think most of them sound bad so.